Problem connecting to SQL Server over firewall

• Hello!

I am troubleshooting connectivity from client computer to SQL Server 2008 named instance. We have opened 1433 and 1434 ports to allow connectivity. I am able to connect using <SQLServerName>\<InstanceName>,<PortNumber> syntax. But I would like to connect without specifying port number. SQL Server Browser service is running on SQL Server. Also, IPall settings in TCP/IP protocol is configured to use dynamic port in question.

I am not sure if there any other ports that I have to open to allow connection without specifying port nunber. I am able to connect using <SQLServerName>\<InstanceName> from clients that don't go through firewall (for exmaple, inside SQL Server network). That makes me think this is firewall restrictions.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Igor

• servername\instancename is resolved by the WINS service and the SQL browser. that's not exposed to the WAN, just TCP/IP addresses.

since you are using a firewall to the outside world, you have to take the port into consideration to connect.

also, to avoid being hammered by kiddie scripts from china nad russia, you should never open default ports 1433/1434. switch them to something else with the configuration manager or port forwarding ont he firewall...you know, incoming 41433 is forwarded to intenral machine 192.168.1.200 port 1433

so for example, if your external IP was 72.30.2.43 [yahoo.com actually] , then the client needs to use 127.0.0.1[comma][port] to connect : 72.30.2.43 ,41433 for example.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Lowell,

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. Client computers are not in the 'outside world'. They are within different subnet. Our network guys configured traffic so that it has to go through the firewall though.

I actually found an article that might shed some light: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318432/

Thanks,

Igor

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply