Problem in inserting datas into table.

• hi..

i am new to sql.

i have 2 tables userlogin_details(userid(primary key),username,password), personal_details(userid, name,age,dob)

i set the userid in personal_details table as a foreign key for userlogin_details table..

while i am trying to insert the datas into  personal_details table it got entered at first time(i.e the first record of the table). and if second time i entered the data's using the insert command.. the following error is displayed..

Server: Msg 547, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

INSERT statement conflicted with COLUMN FOREIGN KEY constraint 'FK_personal_details_userlogin_details'. The conflict occurred in database 'project', table 'userlogin_details', column 'UserID'.

The statement has been terminated.

plz tell as soon as possible where is the problem.. and how can i rectify it..

with advance thanks..

P.ramasubramanian

• The error means that the userid you're trying to enter in personal_details doesn't exist in userlogin_details. Solution, enter the data into userlogin_details first.

• Lance is correct on the cause and resolution of the error.

I would also suggest you relook at the table design.  Is there a reason you chose to split out UserLogin and PersonalDetails?  It appears that these can reside in a single table as such:

CREATE TABLE Users

(  UserID      <datatype>   PRIMARY KEY

,  UserName  ...

,  Password   ...

,  Name ...

,  Age  ...

,  DOB  ...

)

The case where you couldn't do this is if there are multiple individuals in personal_details for each UserID.

What do you think?

Scott Thornburg

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply