Problem starting SQL Serve Agent

• Hi,

I have a local instance installed.  DBs migrated fine, but I can't seem to get the agent started.

I have tried just about all options on teh SQL Server Configuration Manager.  I get the following:

SQLServerAgent could not be started (reason: Unable to connect to server 'SQLSERVER1\SQL2005_1'; SQLServerAgent cannot start).

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

• Does the service account the SQL Server Agent is running under have a login (even if it's through a group) to the SQL Server instance and does this login have sysadmin fixed server role membership? That's one of the usual reasons:

PRB: SQL Server Agent does not start and displays error 18456

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Thank you for the link.  Unfortunately for me, I still can't seem to get it working. There has to be something  I am doing wrong.  Could someone tell me you see a problem with my setup/settings?

I am running SQL Server 2005 on XP Pro. 

I have a user "Owner" setup on my machine, and it is in the OS "Administrators" group.

The provided "BUILTIN\Administrators" group in SQL is a sysadmin (Agent properties \ Server Roles). Nothing else has been done in any of the properties pages.

No matter the setting I use in the SQL Server Configuration Manager\Log on page.

Logon as: Build-in account: Local system; Local Service; Network Service (I am guessing that Local system should work).  or This account: owner w pwd.

I get the same message.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

• Test with Local System but it shouldn't remain that way (at worst case, create a local user and run both SQL Server and SQL Server Agent under that). It looks like, for whatever reason, SQL Server Agent isn't able to see the SQL Server. Verify the SQL Server instance is started, and then, in SQL Server Management Studio, connect to the SQL Server in question. Check the properties of the SQL Server Agent, specifically the Connection page. There isn't a local alias set, is there?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• SQL server instance is running, I loaded SSMS and connected with the sa account. 

Local System will not connect.  I don't have anything in the SQL Agent Properties page under "Alias local server"

I have a user I created called an OS user and a SQL user (SQLSVCS) in OS assigned to Administrators group in sql assigne dto sysadmin.  That will not work either.  However, the SQL server is running under this new account.   My OS "Owner" account will not work either (gave it sysadmin in SQL as well).

Nothing seem to work.

• Start up Profiler and make sure to add Audit Login Failed to the list of events to capture (you will likely have to check Show all events to see it). Begin a Profiler trace. Then attempt to start SQL Server. Do you see an Audit Login Failed event fire when you start up SQL Server Agent?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Trying to connect with profiler (under the sa account) generates an error that the server does not allow remote connections.

The server is setup to allow remote connections.  Connection page has a checkmark under allow remote connections.

Could it be that I have SQL 2000 also running on this box?

• After doing some more hunting on the agent logs, I found an error that indicated "Encryption not supported on teh client", so hunting around the internet (and thinking it had to do with the client connectivity), I found an topic in a microsoft forum that had a fix for this.  It seems that during the installation there could be a problem installig the "Microsoft SQL Server Native Client".  I didn't get an error when I installed, but it's strange that it is this.  This is the url http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=469388&SiteID=1 

This is what I did:

1) Made a reg file with the info on the forum listed above (running on Win XP, so first line will change for your OS):

2) Ran the reg file

3) Opened up "Add Remove Prgrams", and repaired my "Microsoft SQL Server Native Client" install.

4) Opened Configuration Manager, and now the "SQL Native Client Configuration \ Client Protocols" displayed the protocols in order for connecting to the SQL 2005 server/instance(s)

5) Tried to connect with the OS's "SQLSVCS" account that I created (info on it above).

I need to work on restricting access to this account now, for running jobs.

bkelley, thank you for taking the time to help me.  I hope this can help others.  We are also experiencing this on a box running Server 2003, so hopefully it will fix this.

• Hrm. I don't like where that leads. Thank you for posting a follow up to what seems to be the solution. That's something I'll do some research on. I'm sure there's a secondary way of checking to verify the client installed properly via logs, etc. If this failure isn't all that uncommon, it would be important to document for my own organization how to verify it.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply