Problem with formatting using the CHAR(13) Function

• I am trying to concatenate mutliple columns into a single column using CHAR(13) to force new line but it does not work as I get a strange character at its place. Here is the view I am trying to create:

SELECT     ServiceID, FolderID, 'Accomodation for' + ' ' + RTRIM(Title) + ' ' + RTRIM(PaxFirstName) + ' ' + RTRIM(PaxLastName) + CHAR(13)

+ 'At:' + ' ' + CAST(ISNULL(HotelName, '') AS varchar) + ' ' + 'For' + ' ' + CAST(ISNULL(NoOfPax, 0) AS varchar) + ' ' + 'Person(s)' + CHAR(13)

+ 'Check in Date:' + ' ' + CONVERT(Char(10), DateIn, 103) + CHAR(13) + 'Check out Date:' + ' ' + CONVERT(Char(10), DateOut, 103) + CHAR(13)

+ RTRIM(RoomType) + ',' + ' ' + RateBasis AS [Service Description], RoomSell

FROM         dbo.tblAccomodation

• Here's the example from Books Online but even this doesn't work when I test it!?

This example uses CHAR(13) to print name, address, and city information on separate lines, when the results are returned in text.

USE Northwind
    SELECT FirstName + ' ' + LastName, + CHAR(13) + Address,    
           + CHAR(13) + City, + Region 
    FROM EmployeesWHERE EmployeeID = 1

Here is the result set:

Nancy Davolio
    507 - 20th Ave. E.
    Apt. 2A
    Seattle            WA

Note  In this record, the data in the Address column also contains a control character.

• Try this:

DECLARE @RoomDescription VarChar(100) (increase len if needed)

SELECT @RoomDescription =

ServiceID, FolderID, 'Accomodation for' + ' ' + RTRIM(Title) + ' ' + RTRIM(PaxFirstName) + ' ' + RTRIM(PaxLastName) + CHAR(13)

+ 'At:' + ' ' + CAST(ISNULL(HotelName, '') AS varchar) + ' ' + 'For' + ' ' + CAST(ISNULL(NoOfPax, 0) AS varchar) + ' ' + 'Person(s)' + CHAR(13)

+ 'Check in Date:' + ' ' + CONVERT(Char(10), DateIn, 103) + CHAR(13) + 'Check out Date:' + ' ' + CONVERT(Char(10), DateOut, 103) + CHAR(13)

+ RTRIM(RoomType) + ',' + ' ' + RateBasis AS [Service Description], RoomSell

FROM dbo.tblAccomodation

PRINT @RoomDescription

Maybe you could create an UDF to modify to suit your purposes!

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• I use CHAR(13) all the time.  Can you show us and example of your output? 

Thanks - that is odd....

I wasn't born stupid - I had to study.

•        Here is an example of what I get when I run a report to create invoice based on the above view. As you see it is not properly formatted?

Accomodation for Mr. Sherif MaamounAt: 0 For

2 Person(s)Check in Date: 01/04/2005Check

out Date: 03/04/2005Single, Half

Board

• Thanks but when I try to run it I get the following error message:

Server: Msg 141, Level 15, State 1, Line 9

A SELECT statement that assigns a value to a variable must not be combined with data-retrieval operations.

• Sherif - I suggested that you create an UDF or stored procedure to use the t-sql and return the string...is that doable ?!

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Hi,

Try replacing the CHAR(13) with a CHAR(13) + CHAR(10)

• This worked great, thank you very much

• Can you tell me how as I can use this at a lot of situations in my program

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply