Problem with ntext data type field.

• We are having some difficulties with a database that has an Access front end and a SQL 2000 backend.  Initially, this was totally an Access database.  We migrated it over to SQL with the help of the Upsize Wizard.

In the database, we had a memo field that was converted to a ntext data type and that’s the field that we are having a problem with.  Up until the other day, we had not experienced any difficulties.  Then we began to get an ODBC error #7143, stating “Invalid locator de-referenced” when we tried to add additional notes.

In looking at the data, I found over 80 pages of text.  That’s right, in one field.  We were able to reduce the amount of data by about 95% but we still get the same error message when trying to add additional text.  By the way, there is only one record that we are experiencing this difficulty with.  That field in other records isn’t any where close to that size.

Should I change the data type of the field?  If so, will that start any new problems?  Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

• I had the same issue and change the memo field to varchar(8000).  It works fine for me in both Access front end and sql backend.  For about a year, I did not see any problems at all.

Minh Vu

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply