Problem with Reporting Services after MS08-68 & 69 patch

• Hi everyone.

Since this is my first post here, i hope you guys can bare with me if its not placed in the correct thread (though i hope it is).

Ok, to the issue...

After patching the operating system Windows 2003 R2 SP2 with Ms Patches MS08-68 and MS08-69 the Reporting Services service wont start. The version im using is 9.00.3073.

In the Event log i see that it appears the Reporting Services service times out.

Generating the Event 7000 and 7009. Does anyone know how to get this service started? Or does anyone else have this problem after patching?

I will try to solve this, and get back to you all with a solotion if i find one, but please let me know if you have similar problems or a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Tomas M.

• Under which account are you running Report Services? Is it a local account or a domain account?

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• Hi all. This was resolved, and im gonna try to explain how below.

The problem obviously had something to do with time, since the service didnt have time to complete. I tried to do the ServicesPipeTimeout(*1) registry hack and extend the timeout from 30s to 60s. This worked and the service did start. However i wanted to know what caused it to take such a long time.

The problem was that the service was trying to connect to the internet and check for certificates. Since this particular server dont have access to the internet, it resulted in a timeout. So where can i turn these checks off? After consulting some collegues, the answer laid in Internet Explorer..

Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> Security :

[x] Check for publisher’s certificate revocation

[x] Check for server certificate revocation

Unchecking these options will prevent the timeout since the service wont check the certificates and therefore complete in time (below 30s).

HOPEFULLY this will help others with timeout issues. Time for another cup of coffee.

The registry hack:

----------------------------------------------------------

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

3. In the right pane, locate the ServicesPipeTimeout entry.

Note If the ServicesPipeTimeout entry does not exist, you must create it.

To do this, follow these steps:

a. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

b. Type ServicesPipeTimeout, and then press ENTER.

4. Right-click ServicesPipeTimeout, and then click Modify.

5. Click Decimal, type 60000, and then click OK.

This value represents the time in milliseconds before a service times out.

6. Restart the server.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply