Problem with restoring backup

• Hi Everyone,

I have a weird problem in restoring my SQL database backup. I was wondering if anyone in this forum could provide me the solution.

I have a backup file of almost 14GB of my SQL database and when I restore it on some other machine..it restores properly without any problems at all. But when I check the backup using the Enterprise Manager by right clicking on my database and selecting the RESTORE database option...I notice that the bytes restored is always in negative in number..

If anyone have encounterd this problem before or have the solution or the reason why it's showing the negative bytes...plz let me know..

I appreciate your help and time.

Thanks.

Muneeb.

• A lot of us minimize our use of Enterprise Manager because it has a LOT of flaky things in it. Do you have the latest service pack for SQL Server applied?

Derrick Leggett
    Mean Old DBA
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

• First thing I would check would be that your servers, and your local client have all been service packed to the same version... or better still, download and apply the latest service pack now, just to be sure.

Julian Kuiters
    juliankuiters.id.au

• Thanx for the replies.

Yes, we have the service pack installed on both our production server and the other machine. Due to some reason we are not using the SP3 but instead we are only using SP2. I have plenty of other databases running on the production server as well but all of them showing no problems..it's only this 14GB backup which is showing negative numbers.

Muneeb.

• There is no reason to not be on SP3a.  You need to upgrade immediately.  Until you do, your SQL Servers are a very high risk.  It might also fix your problem described here, although I didn't see that when I read the release notes.

Derrick Leggett
    Mean Old DBA
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

• Thanx Derrick,

The reason why we don't have SP3a right now is we are running a financial application called SOLOMON which is from Microsoft. But the problem is if we upgrade to SP3a then we get lot's of problems with this application....I think for now we are fine with SP2 besides we have already installed latest patches. In a couple of weeks we are thinking to get the new version of SOLOMON may be at that time we can upgrade our production server to SP3a

Thanx.

Muneeb.

• try to install SP3a on server

and install MDAC 2.7 SP1 on both clients and server machines .. and this may solve most of your problems

Alamir Mohamed
    Alamir_mohamed@yahoo.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply