Problems making a temp table with Dynamic SQL (but not regular tables)

• I am using dynamic SQL to build a query that looks like the following:

SELECT BEGDOC

INTO [#EDC-GH-GF]

FROM TABLE 1

WHERE PROCESSID = 'EDC-GH-GF'

When I use a PRINT(@QUERY) command to see the results, and then run that query, it runs perfectly. IF I use EXEC(@QUERY) to run it directly, the temp table never gets made.

If I remove the # and make it a permanent table, it runs in both regular and dynamic sql.

• huston.dunlap (3/23/2010)

I am using dynamic SQL to build a query that looks like the following:

SELECT BEGDOC

INTO [#EDC-GH-GF]

FROM TABLE 1

WHERE PROCESSID = 'EDC-GH-GF'

When I use a PRINT(@QUERY) command to see the results, and then run that query, it runs perfectly. IF I use EXEC(@QUERY) to run it directly, the temp table never gets made.

If I remove the # and make it a permanent table, it runs in both regular and dynamic sql.

Basic misconception about the lifespan of a temp table. When you run EXEC(@QUERY), the temp table DID get created. And then, your scope ended and you returned from the EXEC. When that happened, the temp table got dropped. If you need the temp table to persist, make it before running the EXEC(@QUERY), and change the query to be an INSERT INTO [#EDC-GH-GF] SELECT BEDDOC FROM TABLE1 ...

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Very good to know, thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply