Problems shrinking logfile

• I have an log file that I try to shrink, but it doesn't seem to work. The file is currently 5gb, and I would like to reduce it to 500mb. I've performed an log backup and truncated the log. Afterward I run the commando dbcc SHRINKFILE (logfile,500), but nothing happens. The strange thing is that it works on the other databases on the same server.

• Why do you want to shrink it?

How full is the log? (DBCC SQLPERF(LogSpace)

Check in sys.databases and see what the current value is for log_reuse_wait_desc for this database.

Full recovery I assume. What frequency do your log backups run at?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Log Space used is 50%.

/Andy

• [font="Tahoma"]

With the log just 50% filled I suggest you not to go with the shrinking anytime now (However the trigger value is defined by the space requirements provided ur environment is not very critical....since shrinking results in fragmentation...best to avoid in place)

Having said that if you still wanted to go with shrinking...

Have you tried changing the recovery model of the database to simple and shrinking it(U can change back to full/diff later once u r done with the shrinking)

Even if this doesn't work, the last option could be issuing the command DBCC shrinkfile ('DB_file',500) with TRUNCATE_ONLY

(Remember that this option comes at a toll price of log chain being broke with this operation, you will have to take a full back up right after issuing this command)

Let us know at what point you were able to achieve ur task. 😛 [/font]

• andy.l (1/26/2011)

Log Space used is 50%.

Which means that the log needs to be at least 2.5 GB in size. Shrink it below that and it will just grow again.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• anilkullam (1/26/2011)

Even if this doesn't work, the last option could be issuing the command DBCC shrinkfile ('DB_file',500) with TRUNCATE_ONLY

Truncate_only is ignored when shrinking log files. It has no effect whatsoever. It's an option only for when shrinking data files.

(Remember that this option comes at a toll price of log chain being broke with this operation, you will have to take a full back up right after issuing this command)

Shrinkfile does not truncate the log. Ever.

Gail Shaw

• 1.Properties window of the DataBase

2."Option" tab.

3.Set "Recovery Model" to "Simple".;-)

• soj2008 (1/27/2011)

1.Properties window of the DataBase

2."Option" tab.

3.Set "Recovery Model" to "Simple".;-)

And say goodbye to the ability to restore to point of failure, or any other time than the last full backup.

Gail Shaw

• Shrinking DB or Restoring DB!!!

two way??!!

• What?

Gail Shaw

• Nothing.

Forget it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply