Problems with configuration files

• I am hoping someone with more experiencing deploying packages from dev to other environments can help me out here.  When developing in BIDS everything works fine.  When I deploy I want to use a configuration file.  This does seem to work fine by specifying the configuration file on the DTEXEC command.  However, if it is specified incorrectly the package STILL executes using the information it was created with.  I am attempting to control things like connection strings and passwords via configuration files so that I can take the same package and deploy to different locations and have it run against different sources and destinations.  What I am afraid of is that things could easily get screwed up if the configuration file gets moved or renamed, or if the dba that is scheduling the job (outside of sql agent using a different job scheduler on a machine that only has the SSIS service) messes up typing the config file name.  Shouldn't it fail if you specify an invalid parameter.  Isn't there a way to make it do that?   Any help or insight is appreciated.  BTW I have used environment variables as well and the issue is the same.  If it cannot locate it, it still will execute.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Hi,

I can't find a way of making SSIS object to not finding configuration file which is surprising.

You could do something like following in a script task when using an environment variable.

Regards

Daniel

====================================

Dim ConfigFile As String

ConfigFile = System.Environment.GetEnvironmentVariable("DENTSPLY_ASIA").ToString()

If System.IO.File.Exists(ConfigFile) Then

Dts.TaskResult = Dts.Results.Success

Else

Dts.TaskResult = Dts.Results.Failure

End If

• Hi,

I assume you may set the default values of variables in your package in a way as to check them and fail the package in case the configuration doesn't override the default values.

Michael

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply