Problems with Enterprise Manager

• We have a named instance, several named instances. When using EM, sa nor a member of the local machine admin group, are granted appropriate permissions (can't see the error logs, can't create new logins, etc). When I try to do such things I get a 'not member of the sysadmin group', again -we are talking about the sa. I can use Query Analyzer logged in as either sa or a local admin and do all administrative functions. select is_srvrolemember('sysadmin') returns 1. This problem occurs on only 1 named instance, all others and the default instance are fine. This problem occurs locally and remote. The instance is running under a named account.

• To clarify, are you able to log into the 'bad' instance with Query Analyzer and the SA account?

-SQLBill

• yes, and I can login via EM, with the sa account and a local admin account (trusted) .. but get the same problem results. QA - no problem.

• if your EM is on a client install  make sure you've applied the latest sp. I often find everyone patches servers but don't patch client tool installs only - this is a very bad move! So make sure your patch levels are the same / up to date.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• You might try to delete the registration in EM and re-register the instance.

Or uninstall EM and reinstall it.

-SQLBill

• I have this problem from ALL clients.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply