Problems with Linked Server to Oracle

• I have a SQL Server 2005 (SP1) with mdac 2.8 (SP2).  I am able to connet to the oracle system using SQL Plus on sql server machine.  When every I try to query a table on the system I get the following error message.

Msg 7318, Level 16, State 1, Line1

The OLE DB provider "MSDAORA" for linked server "" returned an invalid column definition for table "".

I would appreciate any help with this issue.

• Hi Rick,

I run in the same problem with SSIS reading number fields (without any dimensions in the oracle-table), I think the problem is the NUMBER definition with no dimension,

I made some views in oracle for SSIS, then it works

wilmos

• I have seen that problem with number fields as well and like you,  I normally handle that with a view.  But what I am seeing is on this on is on a string (varchar2) field.  Here is the query that I using.

select

LAST_NAME FROM PROD..APPS.PER_ALL_PEOPLE_F WHERE LAST_NAME = 'Davis'

Where PROD is the name of the linked server that I am using.

• have you tried with openquery, something like this:

select * from openquery (POD,'select LAST_NAME FROM PER_ALL_PEOPLE_F WHERE LAST_NAME = ''Davis''')

wilmos

• Using the openquery function worked.  I can use that as a work around until I can get the standard linked server issue worked out.

Thanks for your help.

• Rick,

I have a little prc for this, you can direkt query to linked server

--------------------------

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[syp_DOLINKQUERY]

@QER varchar(2000)

AS

-- query a linked table

-- wm 01.2005

declare @QER1 varchar(2000)

declare @LINK varchar(100)

declare @XUSER varchar(100)

DECLARE @nsql nvarchar(4000)

set @XUSER = user

set @LINK = 'PROD'

set @QER1 = REPLACE(@QER,char(39),char(39)+char(39))

set @QER = 'select * from openquery (' + @LINK + ',' + char(39) + @QER1 + char(39)+ ') '

SET @nsql = CAST( @QER AS nvarchar(4000) )

EXEC sp_executesql @nsql

return

------

maybe ist helps, I have the same for inserts and updates

let me know

wilmos

• Thanks for all your help with this issue, and I will be using the OPENQUERY workaround.  I am still curious of why the query (Select * from PROD..APPS.PER_ALL_PEOPLE_F) is not working.  Does anyone have any idea of what I should check?

• Don't use *. Use the column names instead.

• I had a similar problem. I was using the "oracle provider for OLE DB" driver. I switched the drivers to use the "Microsoft OLE DB provider for Oracle" and that worked.

Tim White

• I'd be extremely wary of using MSDAORA in production. It's old, and written against Oracle 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244661/"> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244661/

It doesn't support all the datatypes, and I can't find it now, but I saw on a msdn article it wasn't supported any longer in production.

Oracle has a free one, and there are other options.

• good info on this problem here...

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=337842&start=0&tstart=0

Tim White

• You need to add schema name befor table name,also you must enter schema name and table name in capital letter.

select * from linkedserver..SCHEMANAME.TABLENAME

It's working fine with me.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply