Problems with Service Pack 2

• Has anyone had any problems with SQL server after installing service pack 2?

• I have had no issues. But there have been threads here related to issues others have encountered with SP2. Specifically what issue are you having and have you searched the forums?

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• never had any problems with single server installation. But have had major issues when upgrading sqlserver with service pack2 in a clustered environment.

• The problem is that the sql server service will suddenly start to run at 100% CPU for no apparent reason, it also grabs all available memory (1GB on a dual CPU server).

This has been an intermittent problem over the last week and I'm not sure that the service pack is to blame but I'm at a loss for an explanation as the server checks out ok. If you have any ideas I would be very grateful.

• If the problem is itermittent then may be a piece of code causing it. Try running profiler when the server is not in this condition until you catch when it is. Then based on this take a look at each SQL statement that was run and test a few to see if anything specific sets it off. Also, check the event logs and sql logs for any error output that may be happening, might point to the underlying problem. If you cannot find any issue try reinstalling SP2 to see if clears, could be a file was corrupted or not registered properly for whatever reason during patch.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• I've run profiler several times over the last few days and haven't found any problems. The Server has also been running fine over the same time period. I will continue to monitor it for the next rew weeks. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

• Another thing that may help catch it, if it is a piece of code is a blackbox trace. Just like a flight data recorder it makes entries for problems and errors that are generated.

From BOL

quote:

Use sp_trace_create with the TRACE_PRODUCE_BLACKBOX option to define a trace that appends trace information to a blackbox.trc file in the \Data directory. Once the trace is started, trace information is recorded in the blackbox.trc file until the size of the file reaches 5 megabytes (MB). The trace then creates another trace file, blackbox_1.trc, and trace information is written to the new file. When the size of blackbox_1.trc reaches 5 MB, the trace reverts to blackbox.trc. Thus, up to 5 MB of trace information is always available.

• Thanks but I had already tried that without any luck.

• Service Pack 2 for SQL was a joke !

I want a service pack that does the lot for me -- not that I have to apply stuff, run scripts and get all messy.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply