Problems with SQL Mail :xp_get_mapi_profiles

• Hi,

I'm running SQL 2005 on win 2003 server and I'm processing incoming emails through SQL Mail using procedures like xp_findnextmsg, xp_readmail. All was working fine for about one month and suddenly SQL server stopped processing emails

I tried restarting the SQL server then SQL Agent, Stopped the mail session using xp_stopmail but when tried to restart comes up with an error message

"

Msg 17930, Level 16, State 1, Line 0

xp_startmail: Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client. "

Also when I right-click SQL Mail->properties it comes with the below error message

Cannot show requested dialog.

Additional information:

If a stored procedure could not be found.SQL Mail may not be installed in the instance.

(SqlManagerUI)

xp_get_mapi_profiles: Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client.

(Microsoft SQL Server, Error:17930)

I know for sure that Outlook has been installed and configured as the default MAPI client and SQL Mail procedures were enabled as everything was working fine.

Can anybody help me on this please.

Thanks.

joseph.

• Did the service account for SQL Server get changed?

Have you logged into the server using the SQL Service account to verify that the Outlook Profile is still working?

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Thanks Jack. I logged into the server with the service account and didnt have any problems, also I opened Outlook and was able to send and receive emails through Outlook.

Rgds,

Joseph.

• fyi, sqlmail is deprecated in 2005 in favor of Database Mail. Database Mail does not use mapi profiles. It uses smtp.

---------------------------------------
    elsasoft.org

• Thanks. Yes I'm aware of that but I've configured SQL Mail to process incoming emails and Database Mail to send out emails.

• Do you have any other instances installed in the same box recently?

Try to drop the profile and recreate it.

Will you be able to check the Properties Of SQL Agent and then Alert system select mail and try to test it from there.

I have the same error in a cluster machine.

But it is a mixture of SQl 2000 and 2005. when It failover to other node it works.

• joseph.dasnevis (8/31/2008)

Thanks. Yes I'm aware of that but I've configured SQL Mail to process incoming emails and Database Mail to send out emails.

Was there any reason for this? DB mail can handle both. I would suggest you switch to db mail, as it is a better technology and easier to administer.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• Thanks, but can you pls let me know how I can read and process incoming emails through DB mail.

• joseph.dasnevis (9/1/2008)

Thanks, but can you pls let me know how I can read and process incoming emails through DB mail.

Ours is a pretty simple requirement - just be able to receive email notifications using db mail.

If you need an automated way of reading emails and, say, populating a db table with the info, I'm afraid I don't have the answer.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]

• That's the problem, I have to process incoming emails to capture data into a db table and I believe db mail doesnt have this feature.

• joseph.dasnevis (9/1/2008)

That's the problem, I have to process incoming emails to capture data into a db table and I believe db mail doesnt have this feature.

I now see the issue, sorry for not picking that up earlier.

I will check to see what db mail can do and will post something if I come across anything.

• Thanks. I dont have any other instance on that server. When I go to Alert system, select SQLMail in the Mail system I cannot see the MAPI profile that I've created but can only see "Outlook default profile" in the Mail profile, but for the database mail I can see the profile that I created. No the test fails with 22022 error - MAPI call failed. I will try to delete and re-create both the profiles and let you know.

• Thanks marios.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply