Proc Exec from VB returns -1

• We have a stored proc that when executed from Query Analyzer returns a valid recordset however when the same statement is passed through VB it returns nothing (actually a value of -1).

The stored procedure takes in some variables and then uses those to build a dynamic SQL statement and then executes it using exec(@String). If we tweak the stored procedure to contain only a simple select it works fine.

What could be the problem?? I'm sure this is something stupid that I am overlooking so, I am looking forward to any answer you can give. Thanks in advance.

David

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Wait, I posted again but recant. Do you mean add the set nocount on in the VB command line or in the Stored Proc?

Edited by - DavidB on 07/08/2002 1:50:59 PM

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Andy - That was already done. See this is kind of weird and my lack of VB knowledge (although that is changing rapidly) is not helping here.

I actually found that the procedure is working "fine" and is returning the record set but the VB application is seeing a -1 when you print snapData.RecordCount (snapData is the recordset). All other procedures we have written return the correct value for the number of records. The only difference is that this procedure contains a dynamic SQL string that is executed at the end of the procedure. It's not critical to get the snapData.RecordCount value to be correct but I would like to know why that is not working at this point.

Any thoughts here would be greatly appreciated.

David

Edited by - DavidB on 07/09/2002 07:42:46 AM

David

@SQLTentmaker

• Could you post the SP?

• Here is a glimpse of a mocked up version of the procedure. Pretty straight forward. Any other thoughts.

create procedure usp_Test1

@filtid int,

@ownrep varchar(32),

@owngrp varchar(32)

as

set nocount on

declare

@sqlstr varchar(512),

@wherestmt varchar(512)

set @wherestmt = (

select FilterCriteria

from dbo.TaskFilter

where TaskFilterID = @filtid

)

set @sqlstr = (

'select *

from Test1

where

owner_grp = '''+@owngrp+'''

and owner_rep = '''+@ownrep+'''

and '+@wherestmt+'')

exec sp_executesql

@stmt = @sqlstr

go

**Note, this is a mocked up version and I don't know if this will run as I have not tried it.

One other note, we have moved forward with the procedure as it does return the data to VB but we are still struggling with the fact that the RecordCount in VB still returns -1. I have to believe it is because of the dynamic SQL but it seems strange that MS would not have seen this or that there are no other posts that I can find on the issue.

Intrigued...... and thanks for the reply. Looking forward to your thoughts.

David

David

@SQLTentmaker

• Actually can you post the code from vb (please alter security stuff)? It may be the type of cursor you are using in the recordset.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• We ran into this problem on our Intranet application. We had to add two lines:

SET NOCOUNT ON

SET ANSI_WARNINGS OFF

This eliminated the -1 return problem.

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@sqlservercentral.com

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Brian,

I tried your suggestion and still get the -1. Not a big problem but causes our VB guy to work with the Record Set differently.

Antares,

Here is the code snippet from the VB guy. Let me know if you have any inputs I can feed back.

gODBC_CONNECT_STRING = "ODBC;driver={SQL Server};UID=TLogin;PWD=TPassword;DATABASE=TestDB;SERVER=TestSrvr"

'------

' set the ODBC workspace variables

DBEngine.DefaultType = dbUseODBC

Set wsMain = CreateWorkspace("NewODBCWorkspace", "admin", "", dbUseODBC)

'-----

' open the database

Dim snapData As Recordset

sConnect = gODBC_CONNECT_STRING

Set DBase = wsMain.OpenConnection("", dbDriverNoPrompt, False, sConnect)

DBase.QueryTimeout = 180

'-----

' get the tasks

sSQL = "execute dbo.usp_ExecuteFilter 1,’Tester’,’Tester Group’"

Set snapData = DBase.OpenRecordset(sSQL, dbOpenDynaset)

'-----

' store the tasks in the gridWith snapData

With snapData

If (Not .EOF) And (Not .BOF) Then

iRow = 1

vsTasks.Redraw = False

While Not .EOF

vsTasks.AddItem ""

vsTasks.TextMatrix(iRow, 0) = .Fields("product") & ""

vsTasks.TextMatrix(iRow, 1) = .Fields("project") & ""

vsTasks.TextMatrix(iRow, 2) = .Fields("category") & ""

vsTasks.TextMatrix(iRow, 3) = .Fields("short description") & ""

vsTasks.TextMatrix(iRow, 4) = .Fields("status") & ""

vsTasks.TextMatrix(iRow, 5) = Format(.Fields("estimated date") & "", "mm/dd/yyyy")

vsTasks.TextMatrix(iRow, 6) = .Fields("priority") & ""

vsTasks.TextMatrix(iRow, 7) = .Fields("incident") & ""

vsTasks.TextMatrix(iRow, 8) = .Fields("estimated hours") & ""

vsTasks.TextMatrix(iRow, 9) = .Fields("long description") & ""

vsTasks.TextMatrix(iRow, 10) = Format(.Fields("assigned date") & "", "mm/dd/yyyy")

vsTasks.TextMatrix(iRow, 11) = .Fields("owner") & ""

vsTasks.TextMatrix(iRow, 12) = .Fields("contact") & ""

vsTasks.TextMatrix(iRow, 13) = .Fields("contact phone") & ""

iRow = iRow + 1

.MoveNext

Wend

vsTasks.Redraw = True

End If

End With

'-----

' close the connections

snapData.Close

DBase.Close

End Sub

David

David

@SQLTentmaker

• Have him try this.

Dim recCnt as integer

Set snapData = DBase.OpenRecordset(sSQL, dbOpenDynaset)

snapData.MoveLast 'Read recordset into memory to get number.

recCnt = snapData.RecordCount

snapData.MoveFirst

and see if it returns.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Yes, we are using DAO. I have been able to go through your ADO tutorial and found it to be pretty easy but I am just breaking into the VB stuff. Our apps guys are overworked and have not had the chance to check out ADO so, this project was pushed through the old school funnel.

I have provided your tutorial to them though so, hopefully it will move that way soon. Thanks.

David

David

@SQLTentmaker

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply