Process Exit Code 12

• Has anyone ever heard of process exit code 12?

Heres my problem:

I have a DTS package that does out and checks to see if a file exists in a particular directory. If a file exists, process it. Else I set all the steps to complete and kick off a disabled T-SQL step which performs an xp_sendmail. I tested the package and everything runs fine manually. I then setup a job to execute the package. The job fails. I looked in the history for the job and this is what it said:

DTSRun: Loading... DTSRun: Executing... DTSRun OnStart: DTSStep_DTSActiveScriptTask_1 DTSRun OnFinish: DTSStep_DTSActiveScriptTask_1 DTSRun: Package execution complete. Process Exit Code 12. The step failed.

It appears everything works however. It processes files if they exist and always sends out the email.

I looked on BOL and couldn't find what this exit code meant.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

By the way, this is running on a server that was just recently upgraded from 7 to 2000.

Thanks,

Jason

• Not sure so I will trow this out first. Could be a Win32 Error Code which in this case would be

12 The access code is invalid. ERROR_INVALID_ACCESS

Can you describe what happens in your package to us?

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• I seemed to have found where my error was. It had nothing to do with the DTS package. The problem existed in the job. I had the job step set as type CmdExec and execute a dtsrun. If the file existed it processed accordingly and the job succeeded, else the package exited fine but would fail the job. One of our network DBAs decided to try to use xp_cmdShell to execute the same dtsrun statement. This time it worked both with and without a file. We're both stumped on why it worked one way but not the other.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply