Processing Dimension fails when it sees Michael Bublé

• In all seriousness, I'm trying to process my cube but it fails on a dimension I've got holding the names of acts.

Any act that has é in it causes the process to fail.

The database collation is Latin1_General_CI_AI, SQL Server is 2005 Enterprise SP2 on Windows 2008 Standard.

I don't have permission to view any updates installed on the server but I can ask the question.

Whilst experienced in OLTP I'm aware I've a lot to learn about OLAP, so any help is really appreciated.

Thanks

Giles

• Try SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• And in case it's not clear, the last few letters of the collation - CI, AS - refer to Case Insensitive and Accent Sensitive (respectively), and the alternates are CS for Case Sensitive and AI for Accent Insensitive.

Steve.

• Henrico Bekker (2/8/2012)

Try SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

If the collation first used is accent insensitive, shouldn't the process succeed?

As it doesn't matter if the letters have accents or not...

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• It is interesting that the process fails, unfortunately not much we can do with that since we can't see from here what you see there. Could you provide us with the details of the error(s) you receive?

• Good point - just to clarify, the collation you reported, is that the SQL collation or the SSAS collation?

Steve.

• Everyone, thank you so much.

As Henrico suggested, the SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS collation worked perfectly, it did mean I had to go and rewrite a few SQL scripts, hence the delay in getting back.

I'd be interested to know why, as Koen asks, why the accent wasn't simply ignored?

But thanks again.

Giles

• Pleasure Giles.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply