processing large parent-child hangs

• I have a situation where a parent-child dimension containing 150,000 rows will not process.

AS gets to the step of selecting data from the source table, iterating through all of the rows, then maxing memory on the machine and never coming back. I can run the SQL from the source table that AS is using just fine in the Query Analyzer.

Any idea why its hanging? THis dimension was working just fine until about a month ago.

Thanks

--dao

• Someone else had a similar problem here:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19084&FORUM_ID=17&CAT_ID=3&Topic_Title=Analysis+Services+Crashes+with+large+Parent%2DChild&Forum_Title=Analysis+Services

Keith Henry

DBA/Developer/BI Manager

Keith Henry

According to everyone I know I "do something with computers?" for a living, so there you go.

• Actually although they seemed similar, my problem was quite different. The dimension is largish but not quite in the category to cause it to be processed by the large dimension processor.

AS was not crashing for me, it was hanging. It was maxing out its available memory and never coming back while the CPU time on the server would settle back to 0-2 % of consumption during cube processing or simply rebuilding the structure of this dimension.

My theory at this point has to do with the depth of this parent-child tree. Is there any documentation on how deep the parent-child tree can be?

TIA,

--dao

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply