processor/licensing

• How to identify if there are two individual single core processors or one dual core for an existing server in order to install sql server and decide the Edition licensing. If there are less than 80 users and not any growth expected to this number, would a per cal be better given two processors?

• Ask a hardware engineer, the manufacturer, or look it up :w00t:

Also, see Pricing and Licensing FAQ

• You should check with your server guy to determine number of sockets being used.

Personally, I prefer the per CPU licensing model.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• For 80 CALs + Server License you'd probably pay more than 2 CPU Licenses....

If it is only 1 CPU, then per CPU license is definitively the way to go.\So, in both cases going per CPU you're better off....

• It depends. With 80 users and no anticipated growth, if using SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition I'd purchase it per processor if using either single socket or dual socket hardware, if using SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition then I would purchase it using server plus CAL's especially if it is dual socket hardware. This is, of course, based off street prices of the products as shown here: http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/pricing.aspx.

Contact your vendor regarding pricing you may receive and run the numbers based on both options.

• Lynn Pettis (4/8/2010)

Contact your vendor regarding pricing you may receive and run the numbers based on both options.

That is the best way to figure it out - once you know how many sockets you have.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply