profiler showing high amount of page reads.

• hi guys, i have sql server with a front end .net application. Now I am trying to figure out why the application is running very slow. I already determined that it is nothing on the db side, eventhough a few indexes should be rebuilt but i am having no blocks. Cpu usage is good but paging seems to be the problem from time to time it goes very high. now i ran the profiler and i see in the column event class: audit logout, application class: .net sql client data provider , reads: many rows above 10000000, so i think this has to be the problems, i have many rows that show this high amount of reads for the same event class and application class, any ideas of how to troubleshoot this?

• Is there a particular proc that's causing the problem? Or a couple of specific ones?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I really don' t think it is a procedure, my profiler shows the event class logout audit for the .net sql server client, textdata column is empty, does this make sense? so this problem should be in the application side correct?

• "paging seems to be the problem"

Do you mean windows paging ? Is there anything running on the server other than SQL Server?

SQL = Scarcely Qualifies as a Language

• in the profiler in the reads column for the audit logout class event de number is very high. We have been having problems with our web application(slowness and timeout errors) and when we checked the web services server cpu processor usage is 35% and pages go up and down throughout the day but nothing big. No blocks in our sql server box and no open transactions. Can you tell me what else we could check for?

• "in the profiler in the reads column for the audit logout class event de number is very high. "

For the logout event, the values for CPU, Reads and Writes are the TOTALS for the connection, not for the actual logout.

SQL = Scarcely Qualifies as a Language

• I am 98% certain that the problem is poorly written queries and/or missing indexes. In profiler, trace just these two: Stored Procedures: RPC Completed and TSQL: SQL: BatchCompleted. Make sure you have the TextData, CPU, Duration, Reads, Writes and Rowcount columns checked. You could start with a filter of Reads > 1000 or such if you get too many items, or filter by duration.

Performance tuning 101:

1) find bottleneck

2) fix bottleneck

3) goto 1)

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• thank you guys!

• Maybe concider running PSSDIAG and get a complete view of perfmon and profiler ...be carefull to look at task manager..rather make sure.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply