Profiler used for DB tuning

• I am testing out the profiler/DB tuner and can not seem to make it work together. I removed a key on a table that has about 3K in rows. When I run a select with a where clause from TSQL and the db tuner says you need an index on the specific field

When I run the trace on the SP that does the same and then use DB tuner advisor it says no tuning option is needed. It should pick up that the execution is running a table scan and it is not.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

• maybe the SP was using a different execution plan? Did you check the execution plan for the SP versus the Ad Hoc Query?

-Roy

• The reality is the DB Tuner is not always perfect, in fact in complex situations it may be wrong. Performance tuning cannot be done in a vaccum, while looking at one isolated stored procedure or one individual piece of the system. When tuning performance, one must think of how each potential change may affect other pieces of the system.

I suggest you just read the execution plan, look at IO / CPU via Profiler, indexes / statistics, use the "set statistics IO on", and "set statistics time on "and analyze performance yourself.

A.J.
    DBA with an attitude

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply