Proper Process for Adding Node to SQL Server 2012 Failover Cluster

• We have a SQL Server FCI that some time ago was converted from physical to virtual and, for whatever reason only one node was truly brought over.  When I query sys.dm_os_cluster_nodes I get back two machines, MyMachine01 and MyMachine02.  The 02 machine doesn't actually exist.  Can we just remove the 02 machine from the Windows cluster, add a new machine called MyMachine02 to the Windows cluster, install SQL Server via the Add Node to Failover Cluster method and call it good?  Are there gotchas that we should be aware of?

• If we just add the machine to the Windows cluster, but not the SQL Server cluster, will that create a problem?  I just wasn't prepared to add the node to the cluster tonight when this server is scheduled to be added to the windows cluster.

• lmarkum - Wednesday, July 26, 2017 12:23 PM

We have a SQL Server FCI that some time ago was converted from physical to virtual and, for whatever reason only one node was truly brought over.  When I query sys.dm_os_cluster_nodes I get back two machines, MyMachine01 and MyMachine02.  The 02 machine doesn't actually exist.  Can we just remove the 02 machine from the Windows cluster, add a new machine called MyMachine02 to the Windows cluster, install SQL Server via the Add Node to Failover Cluster method and call it good?  Are there gotchas that we should be aware of?

evict the node from the cluster before building the new node and putting it on the network

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thanks Perry.  Sorry Just replying.  That's what I was thinking we needed to do but because it was a physical to virtual situation I wasn't sure if there was more to it.  We still haven't gotten to the finish line on this project so you're response is helpful.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply