put subquery as columns

• I'm trying to create a query to send to a feed.

As an example, here are my two tables

Table1 has a list of motorcycles

------------------------------

BikeID Name Price

1 Bike1 $xx.xx

2 Bike2 $xx.xx

3 Bike3 $xx.xx

------------------------------

Table2 has a list of pictures for this bike

-------------------------

BikeID Photo

1 B1Pix1.jpg

1 B1Pix2.jpg

1 B1Pix3.jpg

2 B2Pix1.jpg

2 B2Pix2.jpg

3 B3Pix1.jpg

3 B3Pix2.jpg

3 B3Pix3.jpg

3 B3Pix4.jpg

-------------------------

How can I write a query to produce one line for each bike with columns for the bike pictures?

Here is what I want:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

BikeID Name Price image1 image2 image3 image4

1 Bike1 $xx.xx B1Pix1 B1Pix2 B1Pix3

2 Bike2 $xx.xx B2Pix1 B2Pix2

3 Bike3 $xx.xx B3Pix1 B3Pix2 B3Pix3 B3Pix4

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I've looked at CROSS JOINS, PIVOT but can't seem to find a good solution how to generate this. Can anyone steer me in the right directions?

• Try looking at select ....for xml path ("")

Tom

• Toms solution will work if you need to get the image names into one column.

But if you need to do a pivot (or cross tab) with separate columns per picture you should have a look at the Cross Tab article referenced in my signature to get a static number of pictures. In order to assign a ordering number to each picture per BikeID you could use ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY BikeID ORDER BY Name).

Once you understand how the CrossTab method works, you should read the DynamicCrossTab article (als referenced in my sig) to pivot a "unknown" (or better flexible) number of pictures.

If you get stuck or have some questions related to the articles I pointed you at please post back.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Thanks for the help. I read your article on cross tabs but the examples look like they are from 1 table. I have two tables I am trying to put together in the query. Also I don't really have a column in the second table to use as the pivot column. There is just a list of pictures based on a key field that matches to the other table primary key id.

• steve-760524 (10/25/2010)

Thanks for the help. I read your article on cross tabs but the examples look like they are from 1 table. I have two tables I am trying to put together in the query. Also I don't really have a column in the second table to use as the pivot column. There is just a list of pictures based on a key field that matches to the other table primary key id.

Well, since the article is really good it's obvious that I can't be the author :-);-) (the article is written by Jeff Moden, one of the top edge folks hanging around here)

The fact that it's based on one table can be resolved to use either a subquery or a CTE (which I would prefer for readability...). To create a column used for the cross tab you could use the ROW_NUMBER() function I mentioned earlier.

Something like

;WITH cte as

(

SELECT

ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY BikeID ORDER BY Name) as row

FROM t1 INNER JOIN t2 ON t1.Id=t2.refId

)

SELECT

Name,

MAX(CASE WHEN row=1 THEN col ELSE NULL END) AS image1

FROM cte

GROUP BY Name

Lutz
      A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
      How to post performance related questions[/url]
      Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

1. Worked great! Thank you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply