Putting together into one script

• Hi Everyone,

I need help in putting together this 4 part of script into one script so I can load in up into 2005 SSRS. I am new in T-sql programming and I would highly appreciate if you could let me know how I could put it into one. Thank you!!!

SELECT

Ev.Mnum,

VM.Location,

VM.Description,

VM.MFR,

E.Description as ErrorDescription,

Count(Ev.EventCode) AS CountOfEventCode

INTO #Table1

FROM View_M as VM

RIGHT JOIN (Event as Ev INNER JOIN EventCode as E ON Ev.EventCode = E.Eventcode) ON VM.Mnum = Ev.Mnum

WHERE ((((E.Description) Like '%error%') OR ((E.PagerDescription) Like '%rejected%'))

OR (((E.PagerDescription) Like '%error%') OR ((E.PagerDescription) Like '%rejected%')))

AND (Ev.Date between dateadd(hh,0,DATEADD(dd, DATEDIFF(dd, 0, GETDATE())-3, 0)) and dateadd(hh,0,DATEADD(dd, DATEDIFF(dd, 0, GETDATE())-1, 0)))

GROUP BY Ev.Mnum, VM.Location, VM.Description, VM.MFR, E.Description

Having count(Ev.EventCode) >= '10' and count(Ev.EventCode) < '20'

ORDER BY Count(Ev.EventCode) DESC;

SELECT

Ev.Mnum,

VM.Location,

VM.Description,

VM.MFR,

INTO #Table2

FROM View_M as VM

RIGHT JOIN (Event as Ev INNER JOIN EventCode as E ON Ev.EventCode = E.Eventcode) ON VM.Mnum = Ev.Mnum

WHERE ((((E.Description) Like '%error%') OR ((E.PagerDescription) Like '%rejected%'))

OR (((E.PagerDescription) Like '%error%') OR ((E.PagerDescription) Like '%rejected%')))

AND (Ev.Date between dateadd(hh,0,DATEADD(dd, DATEDIFF(dd, 0, GETDATE())-2, 0)) and dateadd(hh,0,DATEADD(dd, DATEDIFF(dd, 0, GETDATE())-1, 0)))

SELECT

Ev.Mnum,

VM.Location,

VM.Description,

VM.MFR,

INTO #Table3

FROM View_M as VM

AND (Ev.Date between dateadd(hh,0,DATEADD(dd, DATEDIFF(dd, 0, GETDATE())-1, 0)) and dateadd(hh,0,DATEADD(dd, DATEDIFF(dd, 0, GETDATE())-1, 0)))

SELECT A.MNUM, A.LOCATION, A.DESCRIPTION, A.MFR, A.ERRORDESCRIPTION, A.COUNTOFEVENTCODE

FROM #TABLE1 AS A

JOIN #TABLE2 AS B ON A.MNUM = B.MNUM

JOIN #TABLE3 AS C ON A.MNUM = C.MNUM

• It looks like the only difference between the first three sections is in the where clause - specifically in the # of days being selected. Is this correct?

The dateadd(hh,0,) part isn't doing anything... the DATEADD(dd, DATEDIFF(dd, 0, GETDATE())-1, 0) returns the previous date with no time. So, the DateAdd(hh,0) part isn't adding any hours, and isn't needed.

(Most people don't use the between operator between date clauses; instead, we use: DateField >= @StartDate and DateField < @EndDate. This handles things when you get times in that date field.)

Also, you are comparing an integer to a character in your having clause. If you get 100 as the value, and the 100 is converted to character, then it will pass your having clause, since '100' is >= '10', but also < '20'. Fortunately, it is usually the character field that gets converted to int.

Having the count() run twice in the having can be eliminated.

The end result that I'm seeing is that you are selecting what is in table1, where the MNUM value is also in table2 and table3.

So, you can make each section a CTE, and join off of all of them:

WITH CTE3 AS

(

SELECT

Ev.Mnum,

VM.Location,

VM.Description,

VM.MFR,

FROM View_M as VM

AND (Ev.Date between DATEADD(dd, DATEDIFF(dd, 0, GETDATE())-3, 0) and DATEADD(dd, DATEDIFF(dd, 0, GETDATE())-1, 0))

Having count(Ev.EventCode) between 10 and 19

)

, CTE2 AS

(

SELECT

Ev.Mnum,

VM.Location,

VM.Description,

VM.MFR,

FROM View_M as VM

AND (Ev.Date between DATEADD(dd, DATEDIFF(dd, 0, GETDATE())-2, 0) and DATEADD(dd, DATEDIFF(dd, 0, GETDATE())-1, 0))

)

, CTE1 AS

(

SELECT

Ev.Mnum,

VM.Location,

VM.Description,

VM.MFR,

FROM View_M as VM

AND (Ev.Date between DATEADD(dd, DATEDIFF(dd, 0, GETDATE())-1, 0) and DATEADD(dd, DATEDIFF(dd, 0, GETDATE())-1, 0))

)

SELECT A.MNUM, A.LOCATION, A.DESCRIPTION, A.MFR, A.ERRORDESCRIPTION, A.COUNTOFEVENTCODE

FROM CTE3 AS A

JOIN CTE2 AS B ON A.MNUM = B.MNUM

JOIN CTE1 AS C ON A.MNUM = C.MNUM

So, is this what you're looking for? (The only things that I modified in your code is that I removed the dateadd(hh) section, and I changed the count comparison to be between 10 and 19, as opposed to being evaluated twice, and compared to character values.)

If this doesn't help you, then please realize that the people that help out here are all un-paid volunteers, so please HELP US HELP YOU. Providing the DDL scripts (CREATE TABLE, CREATE INDEX, etc.) for the tables affected, and INSERT statements to put some test data into those tables that shows your problem will go a long way in getting people to look at your issue and help you out. Please include code for what you have already tried. Don't forget to include what your expected results should be, based on the sample data provided. As a bonus to you, you will get tested code back. For more details on how to get all of this into your post, please look at the first link in my signature.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Thanks so much! This is what I'm looking for. I really appreciate your recommendations and today I learned about WITH common table expression that I didn't know before. Kidos to you!

• it also helped me

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply