QOD 30/07/2003 - Another Documentation Error???

• Hi Guys,

I was a little suprised to get todays QOD wrong. I answered 5) You can't run Enterprise Edition of SQL Server 2000 on Standard Editon of Windows 2000.

Actually I have never tried it but if I refer to SQL Server 2000 Administrators Companion (Microsoft Press) it says on page 62 under the Enterprise Edition section "SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition requires Windows 2000 Advanced Server or Windows 2000 Datacenter."

Now all as I say I have never tried it as all our Enterprise Editions are running on Advanced Server but is the book wrong (it's stated in more than one place) or was the answer to QOD wrong?

Cheers,

Dan

• Hi Dan,

quote:

I was a little suprised to get todays QOD wrong. I answered 5) You can't run Enterprise Edition of SQL Server 2000 on Standard Editon of Windows 2000.

Actually I have never tried it but if I refer to SQL Server 2000 Administrators Companion (Microsoft Press) it says on page 62 under the Enterprise Edition section "SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition requires Windows 2000 Advanced Server or Windows 2000 Datacenter."

Now all as I say I have never tried it as all our Enterprise Editions are running on Advanced Server but is the book wrong (it's stated in more than one place) or was the answer to QOD wrong?

look at BOL for 'maximum capacity specifications'

Cheers,

Frank

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

• In SQL Server 7.0 that was correct. But in SQL Server 2000, you can actually run EE on Standard Edition of Windows....not that you would actually ever want to do that since the main perk to EE is clustering, which can't be done on Windows 2000 Standard Edition. I didn't believe you could install Ent. Ed on Windows Std until someone proved me wrong a year after 2K came out.

Brian Knight

bknight@sqlservercentral.com

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bknight

• I just answered wrong myself. But looked up afterwards in BOL.

In the topic "Hardware and Software Requirements for Installing SQL Server 2000" under "Installing SQL Server" you will find the following.

SQL Server edition or component - Operating system requirement
    Enterprise Edition - Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0, Microsoft Windows NT Server Enterprise Edition 4.0, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, and Windows 2000 Data Center Server.
    Note that Microsoft Windows 2000 Server (any version) is required for some SQL Server 2000 features.
    Standard Edition - Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0, Windows 2000 Server, Microsoft Windows NT Server Enterprise Edition, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, and Windows 2000 Data Center Server.
    Personal Edition - Microsoft Windows Me, Windows 98, Windows NT Workstation 4.0, Windows 2000 Professional, Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0, Windows 2000 Server, and all the more advanced Windows operating systems.
    Developer Edition - Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0, Windows 2000 Professional, and all other Windows NT and Windows 2000 operating systems.
    Desktop Engine - Microsoft Windows Me, Windows 98, Windows NT Workstation 4.0, Windows 2000 Professional, Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0, Windows 2000 Server, and all the more advanced Windows operating systems.
    Client Tools Only - Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 (all versions), Windows Me, and Windows 98.
    Connectivity Only - Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 (all versions), Windows Me, Windows 98, and Windows 95.

Yes I remembered from 7 which was my issue. Also, make sure your SQL BOL for 2000 is the updated one from the MS site as there have been many documentation changes.

• I would just like to point out that, although many incompetent people refer to the Wndows 2000 Server product in this manner, there is no such product as Microsoft Windows 2000 Standard Edition. I dare anyone to find a reference to this product at http://www.microsoft.com. Although I chose the "correct" answer, the correct answer to the question should have been "You can't run Enterprise Edition of SQL Server 2000 on Standard Editon of Windows 2000". Because there is no such product, you cannot run any application with something that does not exist.

• Ditto to cholliet, the question said the OS was "Windows 2000 Standard Edition". Since they did not include the word "Server", I assumed they meant W2K Pro. (Which is a stupid name anyway. Does it imply Servers are not used by Professionals? But that's another topic.)

Since the question is ambiguous, I think answer 5 should also qualify for points.

• Its only a bit of fun !! cholliet..surely you're calling all these people incompetent!

I assumed, along with alot of people, that Windows 2000 (standard edition) was just highlighting that it was normal Windows 2000 server, not Advanced or Data Centre. If it had been left just as Windows 2000 i'd imagine there would have been many more complaints about the question not being clear!!

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

• BTW Why is the author removed from the QOD? I believe this question should be totally disregarded since it quite obviously is impossible to know what answer should be the correct one. Once again I start rembling about not knowing the intetions of the author... I would in this case prefer the little witch-hunt that would follow...

Regards, Hans!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply