QOD - Friendly Fire

• Trying this again - it appears to have failed when I first tried to post it.

I don't know how many of you have read Steve Jones' comment 'Friendly Fire' in the newsletter, so I've posted it here. Please see my comments at the end. And I will warn you now, this is a long post.

-SQLBill

Friendly Fire

At least I hope it's friendly

If you follow the question of the day, you'll notice the last couple of days we've had a few typos and there has been an inordinate amount of activity in discussing the answers and questions themselves. Again, let me apologize for the typos.

It would seem easy enough, think of a topic, or take a question submitted, look at it, read it, try it out, and then put it into the system and it's done, right? Well it is and it isn't. Doing one of these everyday is hard. And it makes for typos. Microsoft and lots of other companies spend thousands of dollars to build questions and you still get quality issues. Transcender and other companies make it THIER BUSINESS to sell you questions and they have some slip through. I used to complain as well, but now I realize that it happens.

In all honesty, I tested the question from the 27th that generated most of the hype and even I didn't see the issue. I didn't completely understand it and for some reason I think I checked the wrong button as the answer. When you do a bunch at a time, it can happen. My fault, I take the blame.

However, it's also been a little tough to wake up the last couple days and have so many complaints. We give you the question for free. There's no prize, you don't get penalized, it's a fun thing. And a learning thing. Andy, Brian, and myself greatly appreciate your support and we do try to put out a quality product, even if it is for free, but we make mistakes. Well, I make mistakes, Andy and Brian have learned to stay away from the QOD.

I'm trying to catch the mistakes, and I hope you appreciate it. Ranting in the forums is one thing and I can take it, but having people attack me for not QA'ing or taking this lightly is a little much. Please feel free to discuss or give me a hard time on the QODs, but lay off the "you stink" comments.

Steve Jones

SQLBill's comments begin:

Steve,

First I would like to thank you and all the rest of the people who make SQL Server Central such a great place to exchange ideas and learn new things about SQL Server.

I don't know any of you personally, but from what I've seen each of you has a 'real' job and this site is something you do in your 'spare' time. I don't know how many of us would be willing or able to maintain a site like this and still perform our job (and that's not including maintaining a life). Thank you.

Most people don't realize how much effort it takes to catch typos. I used to be a Tech Writer and I am an excellent speller. I still make mistakes. Yes, it's kind of a pain when it's in something like the QOD but I'm sure you wish there were more hours in the day to really evaluate/proofread everything that you review. But alas, there are other things to be done and you can only do so much.

One thing I have noticed (this isn't a slam/flame and I really haven't been keeping count) is that the ones who complain the most and say they won't do the QOD anymore all seem to be newbies (with low number of posts). The ones who have been around longer seem to complain less. Is it because we (us who have been around longer) no longer care? I don't think so. Nor do I thing that it's really a problem with the newbies. I just believe that the longer a person is on this site, the better we know the difficulties that all of you have with maintaining SQLServerCentral.

Solution? Maybe someone with more time on their hand would be willing to be a 'middle-person' in the QOD process. They would be emailed submitted QODs, test and spell/sytax check the question and answers. Then once completely reviewed, they would return them to SQLServerCentral. The QOD could then be posted with not only the author's name, but also the name of the person who reviewed and approved it. Do you think you will get any volunteers? Don't hold your breath. I don't have test equipment - so I know I couldn't do it.

Lastly, it's a shame that some people have to be rude (the 'you stink' type comments). Constructive comments are always welcome as they can point out problems but rudeness doesn't solve anything.

Again, thanks for the great work you do. Please keep it up.

-SQLBill

• I agree with SQLBill and his "you smell nice" post.

Please do not end the QOD’s.

Some people spell out the news paper every morning.

I spend about half an hour having fun with sqlservercentrals news letter.

Regards,
    Leon Bakkers

• OK. I'm guilty of complaining. But, in truth, I can deal with bad grammer and poor spelling unless it really interferes with the ideas being communicated. I suppose the only legitimate complaint is when a mistake in the QOD makes it impossible to determine the answer without guessing the intent of the questioner.

I would suggest that the more experienced members of this forum have a better sense of what are irrelevant typos and as such don't feel as much frustration. But I am still on the steep side of the learning curve so I am easily tripped up by what might be an obvious typo to others.

I find the QOD a valuable reality check of my over all knowledge. I would hate to see it disappear.

Here's a thought, maybe some of the advanced members of the forum could preview QODs before general release. They would have an opportunity catch some of these minor glitches before the are viewed by the general membership. All you would need to do is have a special area on the website only accessible by the gurus. Sort of a peer review thingy without the pressure of trying to score grant money

Bob
    SuccessWare Software

• Having a Beta group is a possibility. we've talked about it, but it adds overhead for us to somehow get the question out to people, and have them answer it. Development time, etc. Not sure it's worth it, but we're debating it.

• Hi Steve and all users of the QOD forum.

This QOD site is a tremendous help to me, and I'm sure for others too.  Why was the forum created?  For just that reason - to share knowledge and make the art and science of SQL programming better.  You're doing a great job, don't let the 'afternoon television' gripers get you down.  Stay focused and consider yourselves lucky to have conceived and nurtured this great site.  And consider the many, many of us that do a better job every day because we have SQLServerCentral and the QOD as a reliable, intelligent and cooperative resource.

• Yeah, I really appreciate the QOD, too.  It's probably the only feature of the newsletter that I could truthfully say I read in detail in every newsletter.  That's because it takes little time, and I'll either learn something, or have my confidence boosted that I know something that other people don't.  Even if there's an occasional error or ambiguous question, its not that big of a deal to me, because the knowledge I gain and the additional exposure to areas of SQL server that I don't work with every day is beneficial.  On occasion, I even run across a feature or command that is exactly what I need at that time.  Also, the exposure I get through QOD to areas of SQL server that I don't use on a regular basis has come in handy for me, and I've found useful features that I wouldn't have known about if it weren't for QOD.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply