Query Analyzer / Enterprise Manager Window Switching

• This is somewhat of an odd problem...

Symptom:

We upgraded a PC (WinXP Pro, SQL2K) with SQL SP 4. When the user opens EM and QryAnylzr and attempts to alt-tab switch between the windows, the EM window terminates without warning.  This happens when you switch to QryAnylzr and then back to EM using alt-tab.  Also when in EM, it also closes when you access the diagram pane on a query. 

What we have done:

Removed SQL 2K, reinstalled SQL 2K and All SP's up to SP4.

The problem still occurs.  Any advice, please.....

<hr noshade size='1' width='250' color='#BBC8E5'>Kindest Regards,

Roelof
    <a href='http://' class='authorlink' target='_blank'></a>

--There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

• I have not been able to find any documentation with that problem being associated to SP4.  I have a similar setup on my pc and have never ran into any of those problems.

• I have the same set up on my machine and it functions properly. 

• We have just re-installed the whole machine from scratch, windows, office, sql, etc and it seems to be working now.

Thank you for your replies and patience...

<hr noshade size='1' width='250' color='#BBC8E5'>Kindest Regards,

Roelof
    <a href='http://' class='authorlink' target='_blank'></a>

--There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

• Also, to my knowledge the client tools have not changed between SQL Server RTM and SQL Server SP4 - the service pack is for the sever, not the client tools... 

We had a similar thing on a client (I think it still occurs) that on the Win2k server's console, if you ran ANY mmc.exe related app (such as enterprise manager) or a variety of other tools, they would crash.... But the same tools would work flawlessly in a TS session   I would suggest the problem might not be because of SQL but perhaps due to MMC being a bit funny - we are looking into msvcrt.dll errors also occurring that might be related...

In any case, you obviously bit the bullet and reinstalled   Fun Fun  hehe

If it happens again and you know what did it, please let us know.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply