Query - Database

• I know I can get the information from sys.master_files and sp_heldb but how can I write a query to get the data in a sing line per database for the below columns?

server

database

dbid

dbsize

dbfreespace

mdfpath

ldfpath

recovery

Sample out needed:

server db dbid dbsize dbfreespace mdfpath ldfpath recovery

testserver test1 1 2.5 1.5 e:\test1.mdf g:\test1.ldf full

testserver test2 2 5.3 2.5 f:\test1.mdf g:\test2.ldf simple

Thanks.

The_SQL_DBA
    MCTS

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives."

• you have to join master-files to itself.

this will work, but if you have any ndf files, the are not taken into account.

select @@SERVERNAME,

db_name(main.database_id),

main.size AS mdfsize,

logs.size AS logssize,

main.physical_name AS mdfpath,

logs.physical_name AS ldfpath,

dbs.recovery_model_desc

FROM sys.master_files main

inner join sys.master_files logs

on main.database_id = logs.database_id

AND main.file_id <> logs.file_id

inner join sys.databases dbs

on main.database_id = dbs.database_id

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks Lowell. But the result from your query gives .ldf under mdfpath and .ndf under the ldfpath for some databases, maybe because I have multiple ndf files? Also, how do I get the actual db size and free space similar to the output of sp_helpdb for a given database?

The_SQL_DBA
    MCTS

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives."

• Hi the below query will solve u r problem.it shows mdf file mdf path and ldf in ldf path

with cte_dbmdfinfo(dbname,dbid,type_desc,filename,mdfpath,mdfsize)

as

(select DB_NAME(database_id),database_id,type_desc,name,physical_name,size from sys.master_files where type_desc='rows'),

cte_dbldfinfo(dbname,dbid,type_desc,filename,ldfpath,ldfsize)

as

(select DB_NAME(database_id),database_id,type_desc,name,physical_name,size from sys.master_files where type_desc='log'),

cte_recovery(database_id,recovery_model)

as

(select database_id,recovery_model_desc from sys.databases)

select @@servername as ServerName,a.dbname,a.dbid,a.filename,a.mdfsize+b.ldfsize as Size,a.mdfpath,b.ldfpath,c.recovery_model from cte_dbmdfinfo a inner join cte_dbldfinfo b

on a.dbid=b.dbid inner join cte_recovery c on a.dbid=c.database_id

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply