Query Help

• I have two tables:

Book is a table representing books - one row per book

BookCategory is a table relating a book and a category

The relationship between Book and BookCategory is 1->M. (A book can have 1 or more categories)

I can correctly query for books that have ANY of a set of categories (ex. 'A' or 'B') with the following:

SELECT fk_BookId FROM BookCategory WHERE Category IN ('A','B') GROUP BY fk_BookId

Here's a query I'm having trouble with:

I'm trying to query for books that have NONE of a set of categories (ex. 'A' or 'B') with the following:

SELECT fk_BookId FROM BookCategory WHERE Category NOT IN ('A','B') GROUP BY fk_BookId

Here is some TSQL that creates a temptable fills it and shows the query results:

drop table #BookCategory

CREATE TABLE #BookCategory (

Category CHAR(2),

FK_Book  INT

&nbsp

insert into #BookCategory

(Category,FK_Book)

VALUES

('A',1)

(Category,FK_Book)

VALUES

('B',1)

(Category,FK_Book)

VALUES

('B',2)

(Category,FK_Book)

VALUES

('C',2)

(Category,FK_Book)

VALUES

('C',3)

select * from #BookCategory

select FK_BOOK from #BookCategory WHERE CATEGORY IN ('A','B') GROUP BY FK_Book

-- The following is an attempt to find books that dont fall into categories A and B

--  - the result I'm expecting is to only see one row-   3

--    but instead  I see 2,3

select FK_BOOK from #BookCategory WHERE CATEGORY NOT IN ('A','B') GROUP BY FK_Book

Thanks,

Rick Hodder

• Try This.

Select

FK_Book,

Category

From

#BookCategory

Where

FK_Book

Not In (Select Distinct FK_Book From #BookCategory Where Category In ('A','B'))

• Are you trying to get the data where it's not in Category A or Category B, or not in both of them?

BookId Category

1 A

1 B

2 A

3 B

With the above info, what would you want returned? (Posting tip: It helps to show sample data, table structure, and what you want returned when you post a question).

-SQLBill

• Hi SQLBill,

Not in both of them.

4 would be the result I expected from the data you give above

And a related question: I would like to be able to query for in both of them.

>>(Posting tip: It helps to show sample data, table structure, and what you want returned when you post a question).

I did put code that creates and runs against a temporary table, shows the queries, and tells what I got vs what I was expecting

Thanks for your help

Rick

Thanks,

Rick Hodder

• I would use a self join in this case:

SELECT DISTINCT bc1.FK_BOOK

FROM #BookCategory bc1

LEFT JOIN #BookCategory bc2 on bc1.FK_BOOK = bc2.FK_BOOK AND bc2.CATEGORY IN ('A','B')

WHERE bc2.FK_BOOK IS NULL

In addition to this and Daniel's solution, another possible way to do it is with NOT EXISTS in the WHERE clause:

SELECT DISTINCT bc1.FK_BOOK

FROM #BookCategory bc1

WHERE NOT EXISTS (select FK_BOOK from #BookCategory where FK_BOOK = bc1.FK_BOOK and CATEGORY IN ('A','B'))

• I noticed in your original post the following:

CREATE TABLE #BookCategory (

Category CHAR(2),

It could be the CHAR(2) giving you the problem.  The Category is getting a blank space padded to the A or B so you need to TRIM it before you look for it IN ('A','B').

Yes?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply