query help - repeating date

• I have a query like this:

select

x.Delay,

x.Cancel,

RentalPeriod

from ( Select RentalPeriod

Delay = (select COUNT(delay) as D from RentalAgreements where delay = 'Y' ),

Cancel = (select COUNT(CANCELATION) as C from RentalAgreements where CANCELATION = 'Y' )

from RentalAgreements

) as x

Group by Delay, RentalPeriod Period

how can I get a count for each rentalPeriod? When I run this query, I see all rental months however, I see the same count for each rental period like this:

Delay Cancel Period

2911 301 201001

2911 301 201002

2911 301 201003

2911 301 201004

2911 301 201005

2911 301 201006

2911 301 201007

2911 301 201008

2911 301 201012

how can I see it as

period delay cancel

201001 2911 301

201002 2800 550

and so on?

• With nothing to test against, try either of these:

select

x.Delay,

x.Cancel,

RentalPeriod

from

( Select RentalPeriod,

Delay = (select COUNT(r2.delay) as D from RentalAgreements r2 where r2.delay = 'Y' and r2.RentalPeriod = r1.RentalPeriod ),

Cancel = (select COUNT(r3.CANCELATION) as C from RentalAgreements r3 where r3.CANCELATION = 'Y' and r3.RentalPeriod = r1.RentalPeriod )

from RentalAgreements r1

) as x

order by

RentalPeriod;

select

RentalPeriod,

sum(case delay when 'Y' then 1 else 0 end) as DelayCnt,

sum(case cancellation when 'Y' then 1 else 0 end) as CancellationCnt

from

RentalAgreement

group by

RentalPeriod;

• Its returning me 0 for my counts

• I'm curious Lynn,

You presented the first solution just because it would be a correction of the original query?

Because it seems to me that it would give terrible performance compared to the second solution.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • SQL_NuB (7/25/2012)

Its returning me 0 for my counts

You should post DDL and sample data, so we can compare results.

Added: Also post the query that returned 0 for the counts.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • SQL_NuB (7/25/2012)

Its returning me 0 for my counts

And you'd like me to do what? You didn't provide any DDL for your tables, nor sample data with which to load those tables, nor the expected results based on the sample data.

I can't vouch for the correctness of my code if I have nothing to test it against.

• Luis Cazares (7/25/2012)

I'm curious Lynn,

You presented the first solution just because it would be a correction of the original query?

Because it seems to me that it would give terrible performance compared to the second solution.

Yes, the first was to make what I thought were appropriate corrections to the OP's original code which did not limit the data being aggregated in the subqueries to the period being selected.

And yes, I would think that the second solution should provide a better solution.

Unfortunately, it appears they don't work.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply