Query on 16 millions rows -> 20 ms. vs Query on 4 millions rows -> 1 ms.

• OK so I was wondering, how is this query being executed? The only reason why I ask is the implicit conversions that are occurring. I understand the datetime one. But I don't understand the Implicit conversion to an Int for Param 1.

Does your query handle that as

where stat_no = 11

Or

where stat_no = '11'

Granted it shouldn't make that much of a difference, but every little bit helps right? When I use an integer column as a predicate, I only see the conversion with the second example because it's being passed as a character string instead of an integer.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Hi Carl,

I hope I haven't wasted your time here, I've got some test data on my machine and I'm gonna try and play around but I think what you have is ok.

Here is a good article that Gail wrote about Index Seeks and Index Scans and how they can be misleading sometimes, I haven't actually checked to see if this applies to your code yet , but it might be worth you checking it out:

http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2009/03/05/when-is-a-seek-actually-a-scan/

----------------------------------------------
    Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. - Thomas Henry Huxley

:w00t:
    Posting Best Practices[/url]
    Numbers / Tally Tables[/url]

SQL-4-Life
  • OK time for some sleep, I've lost my marbles... Sorry Carl, I'll try have another look at this next week if you still need.

(Bookmark lookups don't happen with Clustered Indexes[hence there isn't one here] - Please tell me I'm right 🙂 )

Have a good week-end

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. - Thomas Henry Huxley

SQL-4-Life
  • Christopher Stobbs (5/22/2009)

OK time for some sleep, I've lost my marbles... Sorry Carl, I'll try have another look at this next week if you still need.

(Bookmark lookups don't happen with Clustered Indexes[hence there isn't one here] - Please tell me I'm right 🙂 )

Have a good week-end

Correct. The leave nodes of the Clustered Index are the datapages, not need to "go to" them to access the data.

• Thanks Lynn 🙂

(Chris finds some of his marbles)

SQL-4-Life
  • Effectively, since the leafs of the clustered index contains the actual rows of the table, you don't need a bookmark lookup.

Thank's for your help.

Carl

• Just to check with you..

Is the index order is a per column selectivity?..at times it does make a difference....

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply