Query Optimization using Indexes

• it takes 58 sec to execute,

nd i am directly executing them into SSMS

• Do you have results from the three test queries?

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• No there is no results...only messages indicating number of rows effected..

if we execute select * from #orderlines

then rows effected will display

• adlakha.22 (10/20/2011)

No there is no results...only messages indicating number of rows effected..

if we execute select * from #orderlines

then rows effected will display

Yes, that's exactly as expected. How long did each query take? Can you post the plans please.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• @chris-2

query which u hv posted, took 58 sec to execte

and select qry executed in 3 sec(Select * from #Orderlines).

@Chris

query which u hv posted, took 58 sec to execte

and select qry executed in 3 sec(Select * from #Orderlines).

Not quite right - let's try again. Here are three test queries. I need to know how long each one takes to run, then I need the execution plan for all three run together.

-- Test query 1

DECLARE @ordernumber VARCHAR(20) -- WHATEVER DATATYPE IT IS

SELECT @ordernumber = ordernumber

FROM orderlines ol

INNER JOIN #prodline pl ON pl.prodline = ol.prodline

AND oetype = 'R'

and cono = '10'

and enterdt >= '1/1/2008 12:00:00 AM'

and enterdt < '10/25/2008'

and transtype not in ('qu','RA','BR','CR','ST')

WHERE whse IN ('100','101','102','103','104','105','106','107','108','120','121','122','151')

-- Test query 2

FROM orderlines ol

AND oetype = 'R'

and cono = '10'

and enterdt >= '1/1/2008 12:00:00 AM'

and enterdt < '10/25/2008'

and transtype not in ('qu','RA','BR','CR','ST')

WHERE whse IN ('100','101','102','103','104','105','106','107','108','120','121','122','151')

GROUP BY ordernumber, ol.prodline, enterdt, operid, slsrepin

-- Test query 3

FROM orderlines ol

• @chris-2,

1st query takes:46 sec

2nd one:44 sec

3rd one:43 sec

but i think this estimation is not always fix,

means very little diffrence not be same for every execution

• So each one of the three takes around 40 to 50 seconds?

Last test: add this index, then run each query again, noting the time each query takes to run:

CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [IX_TestIndex]

ON [dbo].[orderlines] ([prodline],[cono],[oetype],[transtype],[whse],[enterdt])

INCLUDE ([ordernumber])

• 1st qry takes-1 sec

2nd - 40-50 sec

3rd-3 sec

here is execution plan for combined

• Well it's clear that a huge covering index would improve the performance of this query but the cost of maintaining it would be considerable. Here's a compromise.

CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [IX_Testing] ON [dbo].[orderlines]

([prodline], [ordernumber],[enterdt],[oetype],[cono],[transtype],[operid],[slsrepin],[whse])

What I recommend you do is remove all the other testing indexes from the table, then create this one.

Then run the three test queries. What we're looking for is an improvement in the performance of the second one. If there is a significant performance boost, then run the main orderlines query and take a timing and EP.

• 0.02$ that the filter returns too much data to consider a bookmark lookup ;-).

I'll say it again... all or nothing.

I applaud the effort tho 🙂

• Quite possibly Remi, hence the test - but it could be worth it. I'd expect some improvement.

• ChrisM@Work (10/20/2011)

Quite possibly Remi, hence the test - but it could be worth it. I'd expect some improvement.

It can't.

It's either 99% faster or it's still a clustered index scan. And with 700K rows returned that table must have over 25M - 140M rows (just a guess) to maybe make the bookmark lookup worth it.

If it helps it's to get better estimate... almost 4:1 underestimating this... not good!

• what should i do? 🙁

what should i do? 🙁

Keep working with Chris... as I said I'm not doing 8+ hours of free tuning work here for a single issue. Apparently Chris is fine with that :-D.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 110 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply