Query results to a separate window

• I've got some real heavy data analysis work that I need to do and I need to see a lot of data at once. My queries are pretty intense and also take up quite some desktop space and I need to see both at the same time. With Query Analyzer (any version that I can tell), the results are always attached to the query itself as a tab or smaller sub-window so if you expand the query work area, you lose space in the results area and vice versa.

I've got a second monitor that I can hook up to my computer but before I try that route, does anyone use or recommend a query analyzer type tool that will allow me to work on my queries in one window and have the results in a separate window? If that can be done, I can hook up my second monitor to be used solely to display my output while I work on the query in my main monitor.

Thanks much,

David

• [font="Verdana"]I think you are looking for a tool like RapidSQL. You will have separate window TAB for result and for queries. However it is tremendously slow as compared to MS SQL Server's Query analyzer. Anyways, just check out on net for more details on it.

Mahesh[/font]

MH-09-AM-8694

• Thanks for the reply. I've always used Query Analyzer because that came with SQL Server and I never bothered to look at anything else. Are there other tools like QA that are really good and worth taking a look at?

David

• Have you considered out putting the Query results to a file, and then opening that file with a text editor such as Codewright, on your 2nd monitor? True a small bit of extra work, but with a distinct advantage in being abe to compare multiple results as you edit your T-SQL.

CodeWright is a Windows Programmers Editing System for software developers originally marketed by Premia Corp. (Beaverton, Oregon) and developed by Premia co-founders Eric Johnson and Don Kinzer, initially released in 1991. Premia was acquired in April 2000 by Starbase Corp. which was itself acquired in January 2003 by Borland.

Latest link I could find for Codewright

http://www.borland.com/us/company/news/press_releases/2003/04_15_03_codewright_75.html

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• No, I didn't think of that, but good suggestion. I'll take a look at Codewright.

What I might also do is have two instances of Query Analyzer open, one in each monitor. In the second monitor however, I'll have the query window really small and the font really small. In the first monitor, I'll have the query larger and easier to read and modify. I'll just cut and paste between the two instances.

Do you use Query Analyzer and if not, any recommendations? I'm always intersted in any tool that will make me more productive.

Thanks,

David

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply