Query Slow Performance

• but please may i ask about the tools you used??

In this particular case I think Chris mentioned that the query plan xml actually contains missing index information. But in general performance tuning is a HUGE topic that takes lots of study and lots of experience to become good at. Find some books, blogs, articles, classes and start learning. Hire a tuning consultant to mentor you while reviewing your system for you.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• In terms of the tools that can be used to identify this missing index yourself, have a look at the execution plan that you posted to the forum.

At the top you'll see a section of text starting with 'Missing Index' - if you right-click on the text and select 'Missing Index Details...' the index creation script will open in a new window.

The suggestions that are offered are not always optimal, but they are often a good starting point.

Other than reviewing and selectively implementing the suggestions that SQL Server offers, it's usually a case of learning to interpret execution plans and then how to optimise queries and your database design to help ensure that SQL Server chooses an optimal plan. This ebook is a good starting point if you're interested in learning more:

http://www.red-gate.com/specials/Grant.htm?utm_source=simpletalk?utm_medium=email?utm_content=Grant080527?utm_campaign=sqltoolbelt

Chris

• sindbad7000 (11/10/2009)

Thanks alot it works... now it retrieves the 5200 records in only one second...thanks alot again i appreciate that alot

but please may i ask about the tools you used??

I looked at the actual query plan you kindly uploaded. The stand-out features were the clustered index scan of the TransactionDetail table and the table scan of the temporary table.

Full scans on the inner side of a loop join are rarely good news - especially when the outer input has many rows, and so does the table being scanned. If you hadn't been able to create the new indexes, I would have suggested forcing a HASH or MERGE join for those parts of the plan. Not as optimal as the index by any means, but at least TransactionDetail would only have been scanned once.

I wrote the index definition by inspection: clearly the lookup was on the ID (which I mistakenly assumed was UNIQUE). Adding the included columns wasn't required, by they were listed as output columns in the plan so I thought I'd add them for neatness, and to avoid a key lookup.

I could have saved myself 2 minutes' work by looking at the 'missing index' information in the plan - but the way forward was pretty clear anyway.

As TheSQLGuru mentioned, it's most just a question of experience 🙂

Paul

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply