query timeout

• Hi Folks,

what are the ramifications of changing the remote query timeout server option? I have got a timeout error in sql server for a large report and I believe there are no locks that are causing this.

• The standard answer is "That depends". I believe the default value for a remote query timeout is 600 seconds.. heck that is enough time to take a coffee break and then some.

Might I suggest you post the T-SQL code here and maybe recieve some help in optimizing the code so it runs quicker.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Or at least post the execution plan.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• High Folks,

My timeout was not a sql timeout apparently. It was an application timeout. The default ADO execution timeout is 30 seconds which was why I was getting errors.

thanks

• 30 sec is still a long time for a query to run, unless it's some massive report. I don't know many users who will be happy waiting 30 sec or so to get their data back.

We can probably help you optimise it, if you want.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • the execution plan is massive.. how can I send it on the list?

• Save as a .sqlplan file, zip and attach to the post.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply