query to a comma-separated text file

• Hi all

How do I create a automatic job that write a SQL query to a comma-separated text file?

Regards

ERIK

• Create an SSIS package to run the query and write the file and use the SQL Agent to schedule the package.

• Isn´t it possible to create a comma-separated file from a query. I can create a file with this query

DECLARE @cmd VARCHAR(2048)

SET @cmd = 'OSQL -Stest\SQLSERVER2005 -dtest -E'

+ ' -Q"select name as sp_name, modify_date, @@servername as servername, db_name() as db_name from sys.objects where type = ''P'' AND DATEDIFF(D,modify_date, GETDATE()) < 7 order by modify_date desc"'

+ ' -oc:\authors.doc'

EXEC master..xp_cmdshell @cmd, NO_OUTPUT

The file is created but the file is not comma-separated.

How can the file be comma-separated?

/ERIK

• The OSQL command will be depricated in a future release. You should use the sqlcmd utility, which has the -o option allowing output to a file. As stated before, SSIS is another option.

• Try executing the below code from management studio:

!!Sqlcmd -S Servername -E -d northwind -Q "Select * from employees" -o C:\output_file.csv -s ,

-s switch specifies the column-separator character. The default is a blank space.

HTH,

MJ

• You can use bcp also.

EXEC xp_cmdshell 'bcp "SELECT * FROM sysfiles" queryout "C:\bcptest.txt" -T -c -t,'

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms162802.aspx

• Use bcp command to export to csv file. In bcp you can specify the delimeter which you want to use. It can be a comma(,), semicolon(;), pipe(|) anything. Also you specify the line termicator i.e for each record.

You can set some other formats also.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply