Query to merge data

• I need to write a query to merge data.. basically all rows from one product (p1) should be assigned to another product (p2) is product is in group with other product. below is the underline data (input table) and product grouping (#productgrp table). output table (#output) shows desired format of data:

IF OBJECT_ID('TempDB..#input','U') IS NOT NULL
       DROP TABLE #input

--===== Create the test table with
    CREATE TABLE #input
    (
    Product varchar(10),
    Rate Varchar(10)
    )    

insert into #input
    (Product, Rate)
    select 'P1','r1'
    union all
    select 'P1','r2'
    union all
    select 'P1','r3'
    union all
    select 'P2','r4'
    union all
    select 'P2','r5'
    union all
    select 'P2','r6'
    union all
    select 'P3','r7'
    union all
    select 'P3','r8'
    union all
    select 'P3','r9'
    union all
    select 'P3','r10'

--===== Create the test table with
    CREATE TABLE #productgrp
    (
    Product varchar(10),
    gp Varchar(10)
    )    

insert into #productgrp
    (Product, gp)
    select 'P1','G1'
    union all
    select 'P2','G1'
    union all
    select 'P1','G2'
    union all
    select 'P3','G2'

CREATE TABLE #output
    (
    Product varchar(10),
    Rate Varchar(10)
    )    

insert into #output
    (Product, Rate)
    select 'P1','r1'
    union all
    select 'P1','r2'
    union all
    select 'P1','r3'
    union all
    select 'P1','r4'
    union all
    select 'P1','r5'
    union all
    select 'P1','r6'
    union all
    select 'P1','r7'
    union all
    select 'P1','r8'
    union all
    select 'P1','r9'
    union all
    select 'P1','r10'
    union all
    select 'P2','r1'
    union all
    select 'P2','r2'
    union all
    select 'P2','r3'
    union all
    select 'P2','r4'
    union all
    select 'P2','r5'
    union all
    select 'P2','r6'
    union all
    select 'P3','r1'
    union all
    select 'P3','r2'
    union all
    select 'P3','r3'
    union all
    select 'P3','r7'
    union all
    select 'P3','r8'
    union all
    select 'P3','r9'
    union all
    select 'P3','r10'

• sqlinterset - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:47 AM

I need to write a query to merge data.. basically all rows from one product (p1) should be assigned to another product (p2) without changing product id. Attached is the excel that has two tabs, first tab shows underlined data and second tab shows the required format. any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm sorry, but I don't know you. So I'm not going to blindly download a file and hope that this "isn't the one".  Please click on the link below the signature line on how to post DDL, data and expected results. I'm sure you will get a better response.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    How to Post to get the most: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

• LinksUp - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 11:28 AM

sqlinterset - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:47 AM

I need to write a query to merge data.. basically all rows from one product (p1) should be assigned to another product (p2) without changing product id. Attached is the excel that has two tabs, first tab shows underlined data and second tab shows the required format. any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm sorry, but I don't know you. So I'm not going to blindly download a file and hope that this "isn't the one".  Please click on the link below the signature line on how to post DDL, data and expected results. I'm sure you will get a better response.

Thanks. i did it

• sqlinterset - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 12:58 PM

LinksUp - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 11:28 AM

sqlinterset - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:47 AM

Thanks. i did it

Okay, and now for the more challenging problem:  How, exactly, do those two tables relate to each other?   There's no group information present in the table that relates products to rates, and there's no table to relate rates to groups, so what, exactly, are the groups supposed to do?   I ask because your expected results place P1 into both groups, but P2 into only G1, and P3 into only G2.  I can't see the relationship from the data.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply