Querying sys.* tables from other databases

• I'm tyring to write a utility procedure or two -- ones that will sit in the master database, and have names like sp_myProc. When in a user-defined database, I would run these to do things like list a table structure, list procedure code, and so forth.

A lot of what I want to do requires querying the myriad sys.* tables of SQL 2005 -- for example,

select *

from sys.objects

where name = @Name

When I run this locally, no problem, but when I run this as a master.dbo.sp_xxx procedure, it accesses the sys.* tables of the master database, not the current database. I can't reference the desired database's sys tables without dynamically building and executing the statements, and they complex fast.

The irritating thing is, Microsoft's procedures (such as sp_helpText, which uses something very like my example above) have no problem working this way. What's the trick? Is there a work-around?

Philip

P.S.   And just why does Windows mess up the layout of text cut-n-pasted from SSMS, anyway?

• I am assuming that you have created some procedures in the master database that you have named sp_xxxx. When you run those in a user database are you calling with master.dbo.sp_xxxx or just using sp_xxxx?  If you have added the master.dbo. to the call, that is probably why it runs as if run in the master database.  When you execute system stored procedure like sp_helpText in a user database, you normally don't precede it with master.dbo. as SQL Server automatically searches master first if the procedure name starts with sp_.

• I've been doing the "shorthand", not specifying the (current) database name. (One reason I used the "sp_" naming convention...)

Philip

• Could you post the DDL for one of the procedures?  I'd like to give it a try and see what happens.

• I've had the same problem and got an answer from an MVP saying that it's the intended behavior. I don't understand that as this breaks the functionality of sp_ stored procs in the master database (or at least severely cripples them). However, to answer your question, you can query sys.objects in, say, AdventureWorks database by referencing AdventureWorks.sys.objects.

• I am going to assume that you are passing the DB name or are changing it.  Because of many issues and usually the need for dynamic sql.  This is the simplest method I have found.

Create temp objects for the tables that you want to reference and populate using execs

USE

MASTER

GO

DECLARE

@TheSQL NVARCHAR(MAX)

SELECT @TheSQL = 'select * from app.sys.objects'

SELECT *

INTO

#my_sys_objects

FROM sys.objects WHERE 1=0

INSERT INTO #my_sys_objects

EXEC sp_executesql @TheSQL

SELECT

* FROM #my_sys_objects

Have fun!

• Same concept, but after reading again, this is closer to what I think you want.

USE

[master]

GO

SET

ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET

QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

PROCEDURE [sp_bob]

AS

SET

NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE

@theSQL NVARCHAR(MAX)

SELECT @theSQL = 'SELECT * FROM ' + DB_NAME() + '.sys.objects'

SELECT

INTO #sys_objects

FROM sys.objects WHERE 1 = 0

INSERT

INTO #sys_objects

EXEC sp_executesql @theSQL

• Bob's pretty much got the issue right. As another example (and a useful utility when working with unfamiliar databases) here's what I've been working at.

Here's the original version. When run as a script it works fine, but as an sp_* procedure sitting in the master database it fails:

USE MASTER

IF objectproperty(object_id('sp_phkHelpText'), 'isProcedure') = 1

DROP PROCEDURE sp_phkHelpText

GO

/******************************************************************************

**  Procedure: sp_phkHelpText

**  Description: Quick utility to list the (text) definition of a database

**   object (procedure, function, etc).  If the text is not found [we shell

**   out to sp_helpText], we pull out what we can.

**  Return values:  0

**  Input parameters:   Name of object to check.

**  Output parameters:  none

**  Rows returned:  (Chunk of text)

*******************************************************************************

**  Version History

*******************************************************************************

**  Date:       Author:   Description:

**  ----------  --------  -------------------------------------------

**  08/28/2007  PKelley   Procedure created.

*****************************************************************************/

CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.sp_phkHelpText

@CheckThis  sysname

--  Object to process

AS

SET NOCOUNT on

DECLARE @Command  nvarchar(1000)

BEGIN TRY

--  Call the system procedure.  If no text is found, it raises an error,

--  but that error gets eaten by the TRY/CATCH

EXECUTE sp_helpText @CheckThis

END TRY

BEGIN CATCH

--  No conventional text to list; first, check if it's a synonym; then check if

--  it's any know object; else print the "not found" message.

IF exists (select 1 from sys.synonyms where name = @CheckThis)

SELECT 'Synonym, references object ' + base_object_name Synonym

from sys.synonyms

where name = @CheckThis

ELSE IF exists (select 1 from sys.objects where name = @CheckThis)

SELECT 'No text found for "' + @CheckThis + '", object type ' + type + ' (' + type_desc + ')' NoText

from sys.objects

where name = @CheckThis

ELSE

PRINT 'Object "' + isnull(@CheckThis, '<null>' ) + '" not found'

END CATCH

RETURN

Cut and replace everything within the BEGIN - END CATCH with the following (it dynamically builds the relevant code) and it works:

--  No conventional text to list; first, check if it's a synonym; then check if

--  it's any know object; else print the "not found" message.

--  Note dynamic SQL, 'cause of the master-can't-reference-your-local-sys

--  tables shtick.

SET @Command = '

IF exists (select 1 from ' + db_name() + '.sys.synonyms where name = ''' + @CheckThis + ''')

SELECT ''Synonym, references object '' + base_object_name Synonym

from ' + db_name() + '.sys.synonyms

where name = ''' + @CheckThis + '''

ELSE IF exists (select 1 from ' + db_name() + '.sys.objects where name = ''' + @CheckThis + ''')

SELECT ''No text found for "' + @CheckThis + '", object type '' + type + '' ('' + type_desc + '')'' NoText

from ' + db_name() + '.sys.objects

where name = ''' + @CheckThis + '''

ELSE

PRINT ''Object "'' + isnull(''' + @CheckThis + ''', ''<null>'' ) + ''" not found'''

EXECUTE (@Command)

What I want is a format, syntax, what-have-you to access the system views without the need to build it all dynamically. Note the embedded call to sp_helpText--it has no problems doing this. (Maybe I should hack the system and flag my routines as system objects?)

This code is messy, and some of the things I'd like to do (with those sys.dm_* objects) are some complex I wouldn't bother trying to convert them to dynamically generated code. Any ideas?

Philip

P.S.

Just to mention, the idea for this utility is:

- Create master.dbo.sp_phkHelpText [phk are my initials, so I know who's to blame for dumping code in the master database]

- Configure a hot key in SSMS to call this process (Tools - Options - Environment - Keyboard, set ctrl+3 (or whichever) to "sp_phkHelpText" -- takes effect on all subsequently opened windows)

- In an SSMS query window, highlight your unknown object, hit crtl+3, and you get the code defining the procedure/function/trigger/view, the definition of the synonym, or a listing showing what kind of object it is--if any.

• As far as I know that was possible in 2000 only.

For functions you needed additional steps. see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsqlpro01/html/sql01l1.asp

In 2005 I don't think this is feasible and I am sure system tables can't be changed.

* Noel

• Now for the UNDOCUMMENTED:

USE master

exec sp_MS_marksystemobject 'YOURPROCEDURENAME'

USE [Your DB Name]

exec your proc

Enjoy!

* Noel

• Cool! New toys to play with tomorrow!

But years of pain force me to ask: is there an "unmark" procedure?

Philip

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply