Question: Has anyone used Mobilize to backup SQL Server?

• As a DBA who takes full backups and restores them to two different servers every night, I have gotten tired of the time it takes to Backup/Transfer/Restore and the size of the files.  As such I researched LiteSpeed by Quest/Imceda, SQL Safe by Idera and SQL Backup by Red Gate and recommended the company by LiteSpeed.

In our company we also use Mobilize to transfer files between servers for disaster recovery.  Someone identified that Mobilize could also do the SQL Server backups, and I am just wondering if anyone has experience using that tool, or ever evaluated the feasibility of using it for actual backup generation.

My requirements/goals are: decreased size, decreased speed, encryption, ease of use and lastly cost.

Thanks in advance.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I've never heard of this mobilize product.  Is it an enterprise backup solution like Veritas or Tivoli offers or is it a patch-style file copy utility.  The Patch software will do high speed file transfers between sites because it only transfers the different bits of data and then re-compiles the file on the target machine.

Not exactly sure what mobilize does.

• Thanks for responding.

Actually it is a file transfer product.  We tested it and while it can trigger a full backup remotely, the functionality apppears to be full backups only, there isn't a way to specify who to log in as or which instance to connect to, so it really isn't a solution.  It does a good job of gathering files from different servers to a central point or distributing them to multiple servers, but it is not a SQL Server backup tool.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply