question on log shipping

• hi,

i am playing around with simple log shipper that comes with the resource kit cd of ms sql 2000. i have set up the primary and secondary server.  transaction logs are being restored remotely to the secondary server and everything is cool.

will i just continue to backup the tran log from the primary server and restore it to the secondary server.  is that all it has to do in log shipping?  in the event that the primary server goes down all i have to do to make the secondary server working is to run a restore comman with recovery option on the last tran log that i have right? 

i havent done any of this before and i'm not really a dba.  its just that i have been given this task and i really dont mind it coz its something new that i can learn.

would appreciate any thoughts/ideas on this.

regards.

ann

• Ann,

That's the idea, except that you have to switch the app users to the secondary server. Either they connect to a new name, or you rename the server. The Enterprise edition has some scripts that automate this, but it's pretty easy if you have the tolerance for a delay.

I'd practice it, in that I'd restore the last log I have with recovery and then rename the server to some new name, not the name of the primary, but something to be sure I can connect and everything's working. Then go back and restart the log shipping. That's worth practicing as well. Need another backup to get it going before applying logs.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply