Questions about the Web Data Administrator tool?

• I have been attempting to set up a test environment for the Web based SQL Server tool on Microsofts Website.  link

I have been working with our IIS guy attempting to install this product, and we hit a snag.  After installing the product when we try to connect to an instance we get the following error stack.

Does anyone have any ideas on what our problem may be?

Also, to anyone that has used this product what are your thoughts on it?  How does it compare with SQL EM from the client install?

Thanks

TJP8

• Sorry, I don't think I put the picture in there properly, so if you can't see it here is the error stack

ERROR

Exception of type System.Web.HttpUnhandledException was thrown.

at system.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)

at system.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()

at system.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()

at system.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext.context)

at system.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute()

at system.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Booleans&  completedSynchrounously)

The specified module could not be found.

at SqlAdmin.SqlServer.Connect()

at SqlWebAdmin.databases.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()

Thanks

TJP8

• I posted this a while back and never really got a response.  Still not sure about the error stack, but More importantly, I was wondering if anyone on here was using any of the asp.net EM tools.  We would like to be able to distribute Admin tools out to multiple locations without having to send them cd's as well as we have a corp direction to try and make as many things web enabled as possible. 

We have also been looking at trying to publish EM through a citrix metaframe environment, but we hav run into a lot of problems because the server list is stored in registry keys.

So any info or opinion that you may have around these tools would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TJP8

• I didn't have any problems installing the Web Data tool, but that having been said ...

I found the tool to be very s-l-o-w, very clumsy.  Only if I was somewhere that I could not tunnel in and get onto EM or SQL QA would I consider using it.  .   . but come to think of it, even then, no - why?

Well, on login, selection of IIS, I cannot designate port 443.  I'll be hanged if I'm going to go outside my company's firewall, log on to a web page using port 80 and start doing logins into my database !

So, to bottom line it - Web admin is an interesting concept but it needs to have far better performance, needs to replicate the functionality of EM and QA, needs to be secure.  Otherwise, why use it?

Now I do like the Best Practices tool.  That's very nice.

Just my $.02

randyvol

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply