Questions on clustering

• 1. In the clustering, I have Node A, Node B and Node C and we have 5 instances on node A. How do I restart 1 instance on Node A?

2. How many maximum instances can you install on cluster node A?

3.How many instances can you install on server?

A.50 instances maximum you can install is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

• Admingod (10/23/2012)

1. In the clustering, I have Node A, Node B and Node C and we have 5 instances on node A. How do I restart 1 instance on Node A?

Open failover cluster manager and find the cluster group for the instance. Right click the sql server resource and offline, then bring it back online

quote]Admingod (10/23/2012)

2. How many maximum instances can you install on cluster node A?

3.How many instances can you install on server?

A.50 instances maximum you can install is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

Which version and edition of SQL Server are you using?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thanks!

We are using standard and enterprise edition 2005 and 2008 R2.

• 2005 features supported

2008 features supported

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• You can have up to 25 clustered instances with 2005/8, due to drive letter limitations. 2012 supports SMB file shares, so the full 50 are possible.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143432(v=sql.105).aspx

But having supported 16 instances on 2 and 3 node clusters, I would say that the manageability maxes out at around six instances. Good luck getting a maintenance window with 24x7 internet facing applications. Failing over a mere dozen instances multiple times to install Windows security patches takes forever (yes, you want to see all of the instances come up on all nodes). Better to virtualize the small instances, and save clusters for the big/critical applications.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply