Questions on EXECUTE AS

• So I have delved into the EXECUTE AS option, and it's mighty interesting stuff with lots of possibilities. A quetion though, which I seem not to find through Google.

I create a SP with this option:

CREATE PROCEDURE AccessMyTable

WITH EXECUTE AS 'dbcreator'

AS SELECT * FROM adventureworks.production.product;

GO

When I run this I receive an error:

Cannot execute as the user 'dbcreator', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

When I run it with the option SELF instead of 'dbcreator' I have no problem. The SP works as intended.

I wish to use DBCreator, for that is the permission I need for a restore operation. When I create teh SP with SELF I give basically SA-rights to the procedure, which is not neccessary.

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

• Execute As is expecting a user, not a permission name. Create an account that has dbCreator permissions and try executing as that user.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Followed your advise, but no. Let me describe:

I have a SP to execute a RESTORE DATABASE action. This works fine without the WITH EXECUTE AS option. I've created a new SQL Login UserSA and gave this the sysadmin serverrole. I assigned it no default database. Now I compile my SP like this:

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[USP_ReplaceUserDB]

@DBNaam varchar(30)

WITH EXECUTE AS SELF -- or UserSA, an SQL login with SA permission

I run the statement:

EXEC USP_ReplaceUserDB 'TestDB'

This errormessage appears:

Msg 3110, Level 14, State 1, Procedure USP_ReplaceUserDB, Line 24

User does not have permission to RESTORE database 'TestDB'.

So, I have permission to execute this SP, but not to execute the restore command. This with the UserSA with SysAdmin rights. It does not matter how I execute this SP, it will always give this error. I miss something, and I believe it has to do with the RESTORE DATABASE action. When I use an example with a SELECT * FROM usertable this construction works as expected.

Help?

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

• Have you tried explicitly granting backup admin to the login being used? I'm guessing now, but might be worth a shot.

I'll try playing around with the issue a bit, but probably won't be able to get to that before tomorrow. Haven't tried this one, so haven't run into it before.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I've done loads of this and it could be any number of issues

when you're dealing with backups etc in 2008 (not sure about 2005) you'll need to make a credential as well and bind that to the sql login you use (or you don't have file permissions)

always remember to issue the REVERT command at the end of the proc as well

MVDBA

• 'Have you tried explicitly granting backup admin to the login being used?'

Well no, I have granted SA-rights to the login I use in EXECUTE AS.

What I have found so far:

I have created a login:

/****** Object: Login [db_Demo_dbo] Script Date: 07/08/2009 10:58:31 ******/

/* For security reasons the login is created disabled and with a random password. */

/****** Object: Login [db_Demo_dbo] Script Date: 07/08/2009 10:58:31 ******/

CREATE LOGIN [db_Demo_dbo] WITH PASSWORD=N'¾´+ãbüÄ¥÷?mð·3¬&ý??,o{+kD£s¨', DEFAULT_DATABASE=[master], DEFAULT_LANGUAGE=[us_english], CHECK_EXPIRATION=OFF, CHECK_POLICY=ON

GO

EXEC sys.sp_addsrvrolemember @loginame = N'db_Demo_dbo', @rolename = N'sysadmin'

GO

ALTER LOGIN [db_Demo_dbo] DISABLE

As you can see this Login is added to the SA-role.

I have created this SP:

ALTER PROCEDURE AccessMyTable

WITH EXECUTE AS 'db_Demo_dbo'

AS

SELECT * FROM adventureworks.production.product;

--CREATE TABLE NewTable(data int)

--CREATE DATABASE NewDB

GO

Whatever action I use in this SP, I always receive this error:

The server principal "db_Demo_dbo" is not able to access the database "AdventureWorks" under the current security context.

I find this strange, for this login has SA-rights. This error also appears when I explicitly map the Adventureworks to this login, despite the SA-role already granted. However, when I make the default database Adventureworks, then the SELECT statement and the CREATE TABLE works... When I use the CREATE DATABASE I receive this message:

CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'.

I am at a loss and for the time being I'm going to use an Application-role for what I want.

I would like to use this construction, for then I don't have to sent a password over the net. Any insight would be appreciated.

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

• OK, with the help of some friendly MS experts thru the Internet and an article or 2 on the subject I have constructed what I needed.

Tnx all.

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

• OK, with the help of some friendly MS experts thru the Internet and an article or 2 on the subject I have constructed what I needed.

Tnx all.

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

• How did you resolve this?

I have a very similar issue using the EXECUTE AS statement with sysadmin rights and getting the same error message.

• My experience with doing restores and permission problems with "EXECUTE AS" is where the database is coming from. If it is from a different server you have SID mismatch. Try running this (not sure where I found this code... I did not develop it but it works great) - this would probably be better as a cursor-less solution, but works in a pinch. 😉

DECLARE @user SYSNAME

DECLARE @SQL NVARCHAR(300)

DECLARE cur_Users CURSOR FOR

SELECT name

FROM sysusers

WHERE islogin = 1

AND isntname = 0

-- AND NAME NOT IN ('guest', 'dbo', 'sys', 'INFORMATION_SCHEMA') -- all users in DB

AND NAME IN ('SpecificUserName') -- specific user name

ORDER BY name

OPEN cur_Users

FETCH NEXT

FROM cur_Users INTO @user

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

SELECT @SQL = 'EXEC sp_change_users_login ' + '''' + 'UPDATE_ONE'

+ '''' + ', ' + '''' + @user + '''' + ', ' + '''' + @user + ''''

EXEC sp_executesql @SQL

FETCH NEXT

FROM cur_Users INTO @user

END

CLOSE cur_Users

DEALLOCATE cur_Users

The other problem is with database ownership. Not sure who owns the database, but the account used to restore the database is typically listed as the owner. Try this also:

use master

go

alter authorization on database::RestoredDBname to sa

The final alternative (last resort) is to remove all SP(s) and other objects owned by that user, delete and re-add the User to the database, then re-add the objects/SP(s).

Good luck

Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours (Richard Bach, Illusions)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply