Questions on File Placement

• We are running a cluster environment accessing a database files on the SAN.

So far there are several logical drives holding our files.

I heard a myth that using a SAN you don't get any performance gain by splitting it into several logical drives.

Is there anybody out there who can share with me his/her experience on this.

Thank You,

Ignas

• Multiple logical drives gives no advantage. Splitting across phyisical drives gives you several advantages. I've tested this.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• What GSquared said, with one addition: in the SAN environments I've worked in, two LUNs with different RAID levels will automatically be on separate spindle sets. So, even if you've only split your files across logical drives, if the logical drives have different RAID levels you will automatically/accidentally have also split your files across physical devices.

______
    Twitter: @Control_Group

• Matt Cherwin (9/9/2008)

What GSquared said, with one addition: in the SAN environments I've worked in, two LUNs with different RAID levels will automatically be on separate spindle sets. So, even if you've only split your files across logical drives, if the logical drives have different RAID levels you will automatically/accidentally have also split your files across physical devices.

I would never have thought of that. It makes sense, of course.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply