R2 problem with SQL Server Agent

• HowardW (3/23/2011)

Is the SQL Server Browser Service Running?

It wasn't. Just started it, retried starting SQL Server Agent Service and got the same error message.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Ok, for what ever reason, it looks like it cannot resolve your instance name back to where it's located.

In the case of a named instance, you must have either an alias set up which tells the client which port to connect to or it communicates with SQL Browser via UDP port 1434 which then tells it the port.

I'd try testing whether I could set up an ODBC connection (start -> run -> odbcad32 then go to the System DSN tab and Add) that connected to the named instance. Does that work?

It probably wouldn't hurt to also enable Named Pipes to give it one more connection method to try.

Can you connect to the named instance from Management Studio on a different machine or does it also get a connection error?

• HowardW (3/23/2011)

Can you connect to the named instance from Management Studio on a different machine or does it also get a connection error?

This is a stand alone laptop. It's not part of a domain. There is no other machine.

I'll look into your other suggestions, but I can't try connecting to the laptop from another machine because I don't have one.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• <headdesk>

The reinstall did fix the issue. I just forgot to restart SQL Server Service after enabling TCP / IP.

Thanks for the assist anyway, Howard. EDIT: And thanks to Steve also.

• OK - I suspect it may be a combination of enabling TCP/IP and starting the SQL Browser Service then - if you're not entirely fed up of the problem, would be interested to see if it still restarts succesfully if you stop SQL Browser!

• Just tested it. Agent service starts up fine without Browser running. So Browser apparently has nothing to do with the issue.

I'm thinking it might have to do with some Shared Component piece, but I'm not positive. I had 2k8 (regular) eval that timed out, so I uninstalled it but left the Shared Components intact before installing R2. When I uninstalled R2, I took out everything, including Shared Components.

• Here's a list of things you should go through set ensure SQL Agent can fire up correctly. If some of these things aren't done then you can potentially get that ridiculously unhelpful start-up message. I notice that a couple of the things have not been mentioned yet in the posts above so hopefully it may prove useful to someone...

1. You need to be running Standard version of SQLServer or above - not SQLExpress

2. In Administrative Tools\Services set the SQL Server Agent (<instanceName>) service Log On to an appropriate user - you may want to create a new specific one as recommended by MS.

3. In Administrative Tools\Computer Management\Local Users & Groups make that user a member of the group SQLServerSQLAgentUser$<pcName>-<instanceName> which has been created automatically during installation.

4. If you created a new user in Step 2, in SQLServer Management Studio create a new login for that user in the instance that you want SQL Agent to run on.

5. In SQLServer Management Studio, for the user Log On assigned to the service in Step 2 (and possibly created in Step 4) grant the Server Role "sysadmin"

6. You should now be able to start the service!

• I am having the same issue. Agent will not start. I was told to try this http://www.sqldbatips.com/showarticle.asp?ID=46 as a fix, but I still can not run jobs or alerts. I am running 2008 R2 on Visa Home premium.

• this is the error I found in SQLAGENT.OUT - 2012-02-03 19:03:01 - ! [000] This installation of SQL Server Agent is disabled. The edition of SQL Server that installed this service does not support SQL Server Agent.

• devalonlc (2/3/2012)

this is the error I found in SQLAGENT.OUT - 2012-02-03 19:03:01 - ! [000] This installation of SQL Server Agent is disabled. The edition of SQL Server that installed this service does not support SQL Server Agent.

Considering that I have the Developer version of R2, I find it hard to believe that SQL Agent is not supported. I'm pretty sure it's my Vista Business OS that is causing the problem, though. I have found that there are quite a few settings and other programs I'm having install problems with because of something to do with Vista.

I need to get a bigger hard drive so I can upgrade to dual-boot Win Vista / Win 7. No, I don't trust a straight upgrade to 7. I'm just paranoid that way.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply