RAID

• If you could have as many drives as you wanted for a database server, how many would you want, at what RAID levels? How would you lay your data files out on them, and why?Thank you

• The best preferred RAID policy would be RAID 10 which will have a good performance impact on both reading and writing.

You need to have a minimum of 4 drives to go for this.

If you have still more drives go for the log files and temp files on seperate drives.

Regards,

Pavan.

• what is RAID 10?

• RAID 10 or 1+0 is acombination of RAID 1 (mirroring) and RAID 0 (striping). Because it writes to multiple disks at the same time and does not have to manage parity it can offer better performance over RAID 5 but still offers fault tollerance.

The problem is the cost. If you have 4 disks of 100 GB each (400 GB total) you only have 200 GB you can actually use.

• http://www.google.com/search?q=What+is+RAID+10

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • You should have used LMGTFY. 😉

• rkaucher (11/16/2009)

You should have used LMGTFY. 😉

I find that condescending and insulting. I've used it once only, after someone repeatedly demonstrated that they were not going to search themselves, and still felt bad afterwards.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • rkaucher (11/16/2009)

Gail is right with her reply.

You posted a question

What is RAID 10?

which should have been searched in a search engine in the first place.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• GilaMonster (11/16/2009)

rkaucher (11/16/2009)

I find that condescending and insulting. I've used it once only, after someone repeatedly demonstrated that they were not going to search themselves, and still felt bad afterwards.

But sometimes that is what it takes to get someone's attention. Heaven knows there are times someone has to hit me with the proverbial baseball bat (or 2' x 4', or steel pipe, etc).

• Krasavita (11/16/2009)

what is RAID 10?

It's the latest upgrade in bug-killer-in-a-can. You spray it on the database, and it fixes all your software flaws for you.

Or something like that....

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• rkaucher (11/16/2009)

I've just googled that acronyme and I have to say I'm shocked :alien:

It is better than RTFM. 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• If I had my choice of configurations, I guess it would all depend on the SAN we were using. On an EVA - I would want at least 80 drives in the disk group (in fact, I currently have a disk group with 120 drives).

On Netapp - I would want at least 48 drives in the aggregate and 64 drives if possible.

Since I have not worked with Clarion's yet - hard to say.

Of cource, each one would not be dedicated to a single database or system, so I would have to make sure the controllers can handle the load. I might use less drives for specific systems that required dedicated spindles, but I probably wouldn't settle for anything less than 24 on those systems.

Then again - the traditional answer applies: It Depends[/d] :hehe:

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Agreed with Jeff as far as drive numbers. Get as many drives as you can so long as the controllers can handle it.

As for the preferred RAID level, it depends on whether you have a SAN or not, as well as how much money you can invest.

NetApp uses RAID-DP (enhanced RAID 6) - DP is Dual Parity. Fast - and I like it.

Some may use Raid 1, Some RAID 5, some RAID 10 (or some of its various configurations). It is up to you to determine what will work best for you.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (11/16/2009)

Agreed with Jeff as far as drive numbers. Get as many drives as you can so long as the controllers can handle it.

As for the preferred RAID level, it depends on whether you have a SAN or not, as well as how much money you can invest.

NetApp uses RAID-DP (enhanced RAID 6) - DP is Dual Parity. Fast - and I like it.

Some may use Raid 1, Some RAID 5, some RAID 10 (or some of its various configurations). It is up to you to determine what will work best for you.

Exactly - we have both HP EVA's and Netapp. On the EVA - we have the options of vRAID0/1/5. Everything is always striped across all drives in the disk group - so you automatically get that level no matter what.

On the Netapp - it depends more on the filer you are accessing and less on the actual aggregate (at least, that is my understanding). Even sharing the storage you can get incredible throughput and very acceptable performance.

Like I said - it depends...

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply