Random Recipes

• We seem to enjoy sharing recipes, so I thought I'd start a thread on it. Here's what I made last night:

Fruit Crumble

Fresh or Frozen Fruit (any kind). I used peaches, cherries and raspberries.

1 cup uncooked oatmeal

1 cup dark brown sugar (unpacked)

1/2 stick unsalted butter (softened)

1 dash ground ginger

1 dash nutmeg

1 dash ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Layer fresh or defrosted fruit along bottom of 9 x 13 cake pan.

In bowl, mix all other ingredients with spoon. Butter should be smushed into little chunks as you mix, so it gets thoroughly integrated with the other ingredients.

Using fingers, "crumble" topping over fruit.

Bake for 35-45 minutes, until fruit bubbles through and topping is as crisp as you want it. Less time for a less crispy topping. More time for a more crispy topping.

Eat.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• What I ate last night (it was really good honest!)

Fry 2 cloves chopped garlic with 2 fresh chopped tomatoes in a wok (which has a lid) with 2 teaspoons of oil

Add chopped cauliflower and broccoli - about a handfull of each.

Realize the caulflower wont cook properly frying it in a wok, so add about a generous splash of boiling water from the kettle, put on the lid and simmer for 10 mins.

Notice it doesn't look like enough, so find half a packet of fresh noodles in the back of the fridge, remove any green ones an bung them in the wok, top up with water if necessary and - Boil for an extra 5 minute, as the noodles are 3 days past the best before date.

Serve in a soup bowl with soy sauce and a little salt.

Realize you have no soy sauce, so use Lea & Perrins Worcester sauce instead.

Delicious. Makes a change from marmite on toast when I get in from work.

• Brandie Tarvin (2/4/2011)

[...snip...] until fruit bubbles through and topping is as crisp as you want it. Less time for a less crispy topping. More time for a more crispy topping.

Eat.

:w00t: Unbearable ! I must have some !

I'm stopping by the supermarket on the way home to get those ingredients

• Tom Brown (2/4/2011)

...so find half a packet of fresh noodles in the back of the fridge...

What kind of noodles? Rice, wheat, shitake, other?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Something I tried yesterday that turned out wonderful. No quantities given, that's not how I cook.

Strawberries (preferably not the perfectly ripe, wonderfully sweet spring ones. Rather use this if you have some that are slightly tart, not quite ripe)

Balsamic vinegar (a splash)

Vanilla sugar (a sprinkle)

Mascapone cheese (more than you think you'd need)

Half or quarter the strawberries (depending on size), lay out on tinfoil. Sprinkle with the vanilla sugar and splash over the balsamic vinegar.

Place in over at 180C (conversion to Fahrenheit left as an exercise to the reader) for about 15 minutes until soft.

Meanwhile, beat the Mascapone cheese until soft, stir in a little more vanilla sugar (to taste)

Place strawberries on top of cheese and pour over any juices. Best served with some strong coffee.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Brandie Tarvin (2/4/2011)

Tom Brown (2/4/2011)

...so find half a packet of fresh noodles in the back of the fridge...

What kind of noodles? Rice, wheat, shitake, other?

Hmm didn't look at the label too closely- just found them in the back of the fridge - probably my daughter's as she's a great noodle fan. They were light yellowish and not the really thin ones.

• Hot Pickles

1 jar of Klaussen Kosher baby dill pickles

garlic

hot peppers

Slice hot peppers in half

peel a few cloves of garlic and cut in half

Open jar and eat a couple pickles to make room

put peppers on paper towel, microwave for 30 seconds. This gets the oil flowing and speeds up the process.

add garlic and peppers to jar of pickles, close, and shake up for a few seconds.

Place in fridge.

Pickles should be ready to eat in a day, but will get a bit spicier with more time.

You will have to experiement a bit.

I like to use habaneros (4 or 5), and although I feel this is about right, several of my friends will not eat the pickles past the first day.

When the pickles have been consumed, eating the peppers is optional.

So if you like pickles and heat, this is a rather simple way to spice up some pickles.

Greg E

• I like this thread! Can you re-post that pork chop recipe here?

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• We need Gus to add his steak secrets too.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Who's pork chop recipe? iirc there were several of them.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (2/4/2011)

Who's pork chop recipe? iirc there were several of them.

Heck, why not all of them! 🙂

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• My pork chop recipe

Pork Chops

Baked Beans

Brown Sugar (if the baked beans don't already have BS in them)

Mustard

Salt & Pepper

Preheat oven to 375.

Pour baked beans into a pan. Mix in sugar (dark or light), mustard, salt and pepper to taste.

Slid pork chops under beans, making sure they are fully covered.

Bake 40-50 minutes

Enjoy.

• Works with pork chops, probably better with thinly sliced pork fillet

Marinade the pork in a mixture of brown sugar, olive oil, crushed garlic and dark rum. Marinade at least 8 hours

Grill the pork (high temperature) until cooked through.

Cook rice in coconut milk

Add cashew nuts to rice at end of cooking.

Serve pork atop the coconut rice

Gail Shaw

• this is really a family of recipes, as all quantities are variable by choice.

This works with pork fillet, or veal fillet, thinly sliced.

Cut the meat into strips about 1.5 in by 0.5 in, or whatever size you think is enough to put in your mouth at one time.

Flash fry the meat to seal it on a hot grillplate to seal it; make sure the edges get sealed, not just the two main surfaces.

Chop onions fairly fine, put with some olive oil in a frying pan, and start frying them

Add as mush sliced garlic as you think is sensible to the onions; then add twice as much garlic again; continue to fry until onions are soft.

Add a couple of sliced sweet peppers (it makes it pretty if you use one each of red, green, and yellow peppers) to the flying pan; stir thoroughly; add sole sliced hot chilis and stir again; add some salty vegetable stock, a few cayenne guindillas (broken so the seeds spill into the mixture), some ground paprika, some ground black pepper, stir thoroughly. Add a pint or two of finally chopped tomato with plenty juice, half a cupfull of chopped lentils (don't try to chop them by hand, use a rotary chopper that you would use for coffee beans) and some salt vegetable stock. Bring to a gentle simmer. Add a couple of handfuls of semi-cooked chickpeas. Put the sealed meat in, making sure it's covered thoroughly. Add a cup of poor quality wine (if you have good quality wine, save it for drinking, don't use that for cooking). Use more wine and/or some water if you want a wetter end result. No more stirring allowed from this point. Simmer until meat is cooked through. Serve in bowls to be eaten with fork and spoon.

Note all quantities are a matter of individual choice, so there are a lot of versions of this. When my wife makes it she uses courgettes (not peeled, sliced on the diagonal to suitable size) instead of chick-peas. Both of us sometimes add chopped ginger. Both of us sometimes fry rice as a base, and use neither chick-peas nor courgettes. It can also be done with chopped or sliced potatoes or very small whole potatoes (part boiled before adding to the mix) as the bulk vegetable (or probably pretty well anything else, but rice, chickpeas, courgettes, and potatoes are the things I know work because I've tried them). If you make it the same way too often it gets boring. It can be done with fish instead of meat, in which case fry the fish completely and don't add it to the sauce and vegetables until after the last vegetables have been added in and are pretty well cooked.

Tom

• Mmmm, I see lots of garlic in a most of these recipes! 'Gotta be good! Garlic's fantasitc.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply