Raw partition

• Hi,all!

Yesterday I tried to create MSSQL database on raw partition and used example from BOL:

CREATE DATABASE Test1

ON

( NAME = Test1_dat,

FILENAME = 'e:')

LOG ON

( NAME = 'Test1_log',

FILENAME = 'd:\Test1_log.ldf')

And an error was logged:

Server: Msg 5123, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

CREATE FILE encountered operating system error 31(Attached device doesn't work.) while attempting to open or create the physical file 'e:'.

Server: Msg 1802, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

CREATE DATABASE failed. Some file names listed could not be created. Check previous errors.

Os Windows98, MSDE.

How to get over over the problem ?

• From BOL:

When creating a database file on a raw partition, you do not specify the physical names of the files comprising the database; you specify only the drive letters of the disks on which the database files should be created.

From me:

Why are you going with raw partitions? Just curious, but I doubt the slight perf gain is worth the headache of not being able to access your files easily.

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• to Andy Warren:

So you mean that I must specify drive letter for both data and log files ?

Ok. I'll try but MSSQL has errored when accessing raw partition ...

From me:

That's intended to implement due to security issues. When we have Win98 there's no way to deny user access to database files using OS tools.

• Interesting idea. For my money you'd be better off upgrading to Win2K or higher, get a better platform all around.

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Today I've run two tests under WinXP: created two unformatted partitions and created log file firstly on formatted partition and after that on unformatted one.Both tests have succeeded. So now I'm a bit embarrassed ...

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply