RE:

• Hi All,

Iam Karna, Iam getting an error while attaching database (*.bak), which already backed up to the device. Here following is the process,

System 1 - took backup & stored in one location, SQL Server installed

System2 - Client System copied the backup to the some location.

In System2 - open SQL, rightclick database do restore database, here u'll mention the path & database file, When u click ok u'll receive this message

Device Activation Error. The Physical file name

• Karna,

Basic stuff again....

This error is because you've not specified the logical file names for the backup file.

Use RESTORE FILELISTONLY to get the list of files associated with the backup file.

RESTORE FILELISTONLY FROM DISK='YourBackupFilePath'

Use the logical file names to restore it to the database.

RESTORE DATABASE MyDatabase FROM DISK= 'C:\MyDatabaseTemp'

WITH MOVE 'MyDatabase_dat' to 'D:\SQL_Data_Files\MyDatabase_data.mdf',

MOVE 'MyDatabase_log' to 'D:\SQL_Data_Files\MyDatabase_log.ldf',

REPLACE

--Ramesh

• Hi all,

I already installed SQL Server 2000 in my System in D:\Microsoft SQL server 2000. Some of the components have been installed in c:\program files\microsoft sql server\.

Now I have to install SQL Server 2005 on to the system. While installing I have changed the path to D:\SQLServer2005\. But some of the components not allowing to change the path from D:\Program files\Microsoft Sql Server\.

My question is whether we can install SQL Server 2005 on to the same system where sql server 2000 has been installed. If so give me the details.

Thanks in advance

Karna

• you can install sql 2005 side-by-side with sql 2000 but there will be only one default instance &  in this case SQL 2005 will be named isntance. do search for side by side at mircosoft.com website, they have good KB articles.

all see following links http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/sqlupgrd.mspx & http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/rpearl/installingandupgradingtosqlserver2005.asp

i hope this helps

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply