Re-adding databases to an Availability Group with TDE

• Hello,

I have a question about re-adding databases to an Availability Group with TDE. We previously had an outage where some of the databases were in SUSPECT. Luckily, I was able to repair the databases, execute DBCC statements and bring them back to their current state.

Anyhow, these databases were removed from the Availability Group but now, I need to re-add them.

So my question is this, do I need to create a new master key even though we already have one backed up?

Also, I couldn't find any good articles on how to re-add these database back to the Availability Group.

Any help would be much appreciated and thank you for your answers.

• Not sure about TDE.

But to Add the Database back to AlwaysON.

1. Check to see that the database does not exists on the secondary node. If it does then remove it.

2. Make sure to change the Recovery of the DB to FULL

3. Perform a Backup

4. Make sure the back up is on a share accessible by the secondary node

5. Open Always ON High Availability folder in primary node

6. Select the Database you are adding

7. Select how you are going to synchronize (Full, join only, or skip initial data). This is where the SHARE location comes into play. If not available you will probably error here. FULL will ask for the Share location.

8. It will ask to connect to secondary node.

9. Validate and Synchronize.

I'm making assumptions on AlwaysON already working and functioning. If it's not configured then there are many other things that will need to take place.

• Thank you,

I just figured out that I didn't need to recreate the master key, back it up and copy it to the secondary machines because it was already there.

The Availability Groups were already enabled on both the primary and secondaries.

The steps that I performed were as follows:

~ Add the primary database(s) to the Availability Group

~ Execute a full and transaction log backup

~ Copy backups to the secondary database servers

~ Restore the database backups (full & transaction)

~ Join the secondary database to the local secondary replica

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply